Should I get R700 or L600?

Andons27
Andons27 Posts: 42
edited March 2023 in Speakers
I already started building a 7.1 system with the reserve line, but the R700s are out of stock and when I emailed Polk they didn't know when they might be back. I can get the L600 for $2299(which is close in price to R700) open box off of eBay and I'm thinking about going for it instead of waiting it out. I assume they will sound better and match with the reserves well. I did like that the R700 supposedly have a better bass response. Anyway, what's your guy's expert opinion?

Best Answer

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Answer ✓
    L600 all day long, but let's not have anymore damaged speaker drama. Are you sure you want to go down the path of open box speakers after what happened to your R200's?

But, I did find these and AA is an awesome company to deal with.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=POR700

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    L600 all day long.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Andons27
    That's a good deal at $999! Thanks for finding that. Says out of stock though. Anyway the company I would get the *open box* L600 from has been good so far. I bought another speaker from them and it was in perfect condition. They also have a return policy and don't have to fight if something is wrong with them.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    It says available on 3-17, you can't wait a week for a good deal? Polk didn't give you a date when they'd be in stock.

Either speaker will be excellent. If you wanted to keep everything R or go with Legends up front. Up to you, there isn't a wrong answer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Andons27
    I would rather save some money. About $300 over the L600s. Anyway, that's awesome it's available on the 17th! I Will probably be doing that offer! I was gonna do the 10% off on polks' website, but this is just as good.
  • Andons27
    I placed an order for the R700s from audio advisor on the 12th. They still haven't come in. Wondering if I should cancel and get the l600s now lol.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Do whatever feels good to you. Likely you will do the exact opposite of whatever we suggest anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson