Warm sounding pre amp suggestions

Options
I'm possibly looking to add to my pre amp collection. I currently have a Schiit Audio Freya S solid state & Consonance Ref 50 tube pre & I swap them in & out when the mood strikes me. Both pre's sound fantastic paired with the Parasound A21+ & Maggie LRS speakers. Just kicking the idea around.
Budget $1,500.

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    Parasound out of the question?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Warmer than tubes?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    Cary 98 though a little above the budget
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You just looking for another toy to play with, or do you feel like there's something more to gain, somehow?

Missing anything specific? Synergy? Or just not getting your sack blown back?

Ever tried anything Musical Fidelity? I was constantly feeling like something wasn't right until I tried a Musical Fidelity integrated, the A5. Maybe one of their pres will suit.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    Options
    Pretty much just looking for a new toy to add to my preamp collection. My current SS & tube preamps really convey the music to my liking. Different presentations and both really hit the mark on all accounts. Just curious to what else is out there to throw into the mix. I would most likely rotate the 3 for awhile then whittle it done to just 2 & sell one off. Just looking to have some fun! I came across some really good reviews & opinions on the CJ line, in particular the CJ PV14L. There's a lot of options for sure.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,080
    Options
    I almost bought an Adcom tuner/preamp for $100 at NEVEE yesterday -- fortunately, I thought to myself "why?" and that provided sufficient restraint. :)
  • pearsall001
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I almost bought an Adcom tuner/preamp for $100 at NEVEE yesterday -- fortunately, I thought to myself "why?" and that provided sufficient restraint. :)

I would have passed on that one too. 🤠
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    edited March 2023
    Options
    There is an open box Lab12 pre1 Stereo Tube Preamplifier @ TMR that I
    have been eyeing... a bit over the budget
    https://tmraudio.com/components/preamplifiers/lab12-pre1-stereo-tube-preamplifier-black-open-box/

I guess this would be a sideways move. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    I'd second or third the recommendation on giving a Parasound P6 an audition. Lots of useful features.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    I've had 3 CJ preamps: PV14L, PV8, and PF2. IMO, the PV8 is the best of the bunch.

The A21+ has 29db of gain though, so you might have too much gain (PV8 line stage gain is 31db).

PF2 has 21db of gain. The PF-R is basically the same circuit with a remote.

The Audio Research LS3 was supposed to be very good for the money, though probably not as warm as the PV8. Echo Audio has a used one with remote for $975.

Now I see that the A21+ has gain controls on the back...go for a PV8.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Thanks for all of your recommendations guys! I'll definitely check out the CJ PV8.
    I some some good pricing on the PS Audio GainCell DAC, any thoughts on that particular item. I have no experience with PS Audio gear.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jmwest1
    jmwest1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for all of your recommendations guys! I'll definitely check out the CJ PV8.
    I some some good pricing on the PS Audio GainCell DAC, any thoughts on that particular item. I have no experience with PS Audio gear.

I have a SGC DAC, and it sounds great. However, It's been back to them for repair once with a main logic board issue, and it's packed to go back again for a dead left channel. It might just be mine, but I'd watch out for QC issues. Also, if you have a Vizio tv the remote codes overlap.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Pearsall001: I have a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC I may sell. PM me.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    Those B&K Sonata pieces with the offboard/outboard? power supplies are neat. I have the non-pro version, the MC-101.
    I disabled signatures.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I currently have a PS Audio SGC, previously had a Parasound P5. The DAC in the SGC is superior. Analog was mostly a sideways move. Parasound makes it easier to incorporate a sub if you want to use line level for that.

Incidentally I had issues with both units. Both manufacturers repaired at no cost to me other than shipping the units to them, even though I was not the original owner. However, Richard Schram is no longer at the helm of Parasound. Don't know if there are any ramifications from that.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Pearsall001: I have a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC I may sell. PM me.

Thanks for the offer. I want to hold off on the PS gear & others for now. I'm concentrating my search in the CJ line. Might take awhile, it seems like they don't come up for sale too often especially in my budget range.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    A little over your budget...

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649631807-conrad-johnson-premier-2-tube-preamp/

But, he's been trying to sell that piece for over a year...
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Maybe fly a different direction Phil when looking for warmth. A redone vintage console amp/pre from the likes of Scott, Eico, Magnavox, Motorola. They have that vintage warmth that older ears seem to gravitate to.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe fly a different direction Phil when looking for warmth. A redone vintage console amp/pre from the likes of Scott, Eico, Magnavox, Motorola. They have that vintage warmth that older ears seem to gravitate to.

Oh so now you're saying I'm old. LOL! I self describe as "well seasoned" 🙂 I hear ya about vintage audio gear being on the warmer side. To be honest I would be leary due to their age. I'm still kicking things around & keeping my options open.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    https://www.space-tech-lab.com/

Give this guy a call, he answers his phone during business hours, and has over 50 models of preamps.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options

Oh so now you're saying I'm old. LOL! I self describe as "well seasoned" 🙂

You mean like that OLD Crusty Iron Skillet over in the corner ? ............YEP!

• pearsall001
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    https://www.space-tech-lab.com/

Give this guy a call, he answers his phone during business hours, and has over 50 models of preamps.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Oh so now you're saying I'm old. LOL! I self describe as "well seasoned" 🙂

You mean like that OLD Crusty Iron Skillet over in the corner ? ............YEP!

YEP...rust & all! I thought 85 was the new 40??? 😂😂