Goldring 1012GX MM Cartridge

Options
Keiko
Keiko Posts: 764
edited March 2023 in Electronics
Been saving my allowance up and finally pulling the trigger on this puppy. Compare the prices of this cartridge from other sellers here in the States vs. this little etailer in Denmark and it almost feels like I'm stealing it.

This is an outstanding deal IMO and I've heard nothing but good reviews on this cart. I really liked and got into my Goldring E3 that I bought and posted on several weeks ago and this being a more high end offering, I'm excited to get my ears on it. These prices can't be beat. I've bought from DaCapo a few times already, their customer service is second to none and they ship fast. Keiko recommended!

https://www.dacapoaudio.com/4414-goldring-g1012gx-cartridge-m.html

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    I like the 1012GX
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    That's what I am running in my vinyl rig. I haven't heard anyone who has listened to it complain about the sound. I wish it had a little bit more on the top end though...but it does sound good.

I am a fan of whatever Rick (local cat) is running in his vinyl rig. That cart sounds well rounded and very natural. I'll have to find out what it is.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I think Rick has a Dynavector, if I'm not mistaken (which is extremely possible)

I like the Goldring, my Music Hall table had one and no complaints. Sins were of omission and not commission for sure.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Hana ML is what Rick is currently running.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That's what I am running in my vinyl rig. I haven't heard anyone who has listened to it complain about the sound. I wish it had a little bit more on the top end though...but it does sound good.

I am a fan of whatever Rick (local cat) is running in his vinyl rig. That cart sounds well rounded and very natural. I'll have to find out what it is.

Tom

It sounds nicely detailed on my 1210, but the amount of bass I'm hearing is what I'm liking most. It's very controlled yet lively. My Dyna is also lively, but doesn't have the bass the 1012GX puts out. Likely due to the difference in gain and that the Dyna is a HOMC cart. I like 'em both though, so now I get to choose my flavor of the day.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Hey Mike, do you have certain carts that seem better for particular genres of music? Or do you primarily listen to the same kind of stuff? Ask for context. Been following your threads and curious about each of the carts you've shared info on. Especially like that tip on the euro vendor!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Hana ML is what Rick is currently running.

Tom
    Good info. Looks like a nice cart.

I have an affordable microline to try out, the AT-VM540ML.
    AT has even cheaper ML ones, too. I don't know about the AT general "sonic signature", but was intrigued by the idea that ML styli can reach areas of the groove that other stylus shapes can't.
    rjye9tsxkrhy.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Hey Mike, do you have certain carts that seem better for particular genres of music? Or do you primarily listen to the same kind of stuff? Ask for context. Been following your threads and curious about each of the carts you've shared info on. Especially like that tip on the euro vendor!

In general, some cartridges will sound better than others in an all around sense. My tastes are diverse and I listen to classic rock, R&B, soul, jazz, blues, classic country, reggae, Hawaiian, etc. I like a lot of different styles of music with the exception of rap. It's just not my cup of tea.

Some styli are kinder for the polystyrene 45s from what I've heard. Some styli aren't compatible with these types of records and will destroy them. I don't really fuss around with 7" 45s so I don't have any skin in that game.

In the past, I've stuck mostly with nude elliptical types of styli. This 1012GX is my first venture into the more exotic cuts and I'm really liking it. It seems to do well with no matter what I put on the table, but I have no complaints really with my budget carts either. Each have their own sound characteristics and flavor. It's all subjective, like I always say. What might sound good to me, might not sound good to you. The opposite is also true.

As for DaCapo Audio, my experience with this company has been a positive one. Check out their site and compare for yourself their prices vs what's available with the more well known U.S. etailers like LP Gear and Amazon. Might not be with everything they sell, but in the case of my Goldring E3 an 1012GX, they saved me quite a bit. I also saved a few bucks on the headshell for the GX and an Audio Technica AT-VM95 cartridge I picked up several months ago.

Hope this helps.

Edit: The AT-VM95ML is an excellent entry level cartridge, IMO. That's another one I purchased from DaCapo Audio and saved a few bucks on. The microline stylus should last you a good long time with proper maintenance. I've never noticed any IGD or sibilance using this cartridge.
    Post edited by Keiko on
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I have an affordable microline to try out, the AT-VM540ML.
    I don't know about the AT general "sonic signature"
    I think this means that you have yet to actually listen to them. Busting your chops a bit here, Scott, but I don't think you are surprised at my reply :)

What I can add is that DaCapo Audio (based in Denmark) in a top notch vendor to work with. They are responsive to questions, knowledgeable about their products (and availability), and quick to ship. I have purchased from them before, and would not hesitate to do so again.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    edited March 2023
    Options
    lol, yeaht, you got me Jodaaay, I completely forgot that you'd be watching and bustin' me!
    But I DO have the original Denon 301 going! It's funny, for as long as I put off on that, it really wasn't that big of a deal.

I'm just a perfectionist, and all this cart setup stuff is sort of like the soldering thing for me - it's a lot of time and concentration to get set up and do the task, but then once you get into it, no big deal, and is kinda fun. Kinda sorta on the soldering. I'm still a novice there, and avoid it more than I should. Prob need to clear my work bench and leave it set up and practice on wires...

Did I tell you guys about this alignment tool I found from an Ebay seller in Ukraine? Makes those turntable mat type protractors? I don't know, something about this just made it feel easier than using a printed one or the various cardboard ones I've picked up over the years. They're about $30. Figured it worth it.

I tried that MoFi Geodisc before, and then later learned that it's not made to be used with Technics tables. Which explains why my cart was all twisted in the headshell and sticking out way forward.

Also - even though I followed up with this alignment disc, I used the plain old Technics overhang gauge and squared up the cart in the headshell for original setup. I don't recall having to make any major adjustments. Kinda neat - you use a razor blade up against the overhang gauge body to reduce the eyeball error a bit.
    m31im7wieema.png

https://www.ebay.com/str/legendaryaudio
    euq2ya8r8p35.png

@Keiko - here's what the Technics one looks like
    ypbri54rjsfc.png

I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    Options
    The folks at DaCapo Audio were kind enough to mount the 1012GX for me. They used the alignment jig for a Reloop turntable figuring it was close to the Technics. Unfortunately, they are not. I had to realign the cartridge using my own Technics jig which turned out to be simple enough. I asked DaCapo to do the set up for me because my eyesight isn't the best anymore and I don't like fussing around with those small nuts and screws. Once I got the cart aligned properly, the rest of the setup was straight forward and easy. I think I nailed it spot on the first time. I think she's all broke in now and sounds incredible. I've ripped a total of 3 albums so far and thinking about a couple more today. Getting a good sounding CD is hit or miss these days, so I just rip my vinyl which almost always guarantees me good sound.
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Here's a taste of the 1012GX cartridge. Let me know if this works. Just a sample for educational and instructional, fair use benefits. 96/24 lossless flac files. Enjoy!

http://gofile.me/6AjXC/fgWKI3lsT

http://gofile.me/6AjXC/tiFGGsL8d
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Now you have me really thinking I need to get off my azz and take my 1012 out of the wooden arm I have it in and get it into my current system. I always liked that cart. I’ve been thinking about it and intended to do it but stuff keeps getting in my way. Need to get ‘er done.