A tale of two Marantz 1060s - which one gets voted off the island?

What's the driver for this?
NEVEE is coming! Next Sunday
www.nearc.net

This is the big annual antique radio/electronics swapmeet that used to be held in Westford, MA for many years. It's now run by the New England Vintage Electronics Club (formerly the NE Antique Radio Club -- trying to rebrand themselves as their core demographic ages and dies off :blush:)
I am currently trying (rather desperately) to cull the herd and round up a cadre of junk treasures to take with me to sell.

As I survey the debris here, I note that I have held onto not one but two rather homely dump-find Marantz 1060 integrated amplifiers. I know that they both work, but I also know that both are exactly as found and need rehabilitation (not to mention aesthetic TLC). Neither is going to be a trophy piece, but... you know... that Marantz thing. They're probably worth something to someone.

Today, I disinterred both, snapped a couple of photos and then evaluated the working condition of both.

52715113496_1a776c8050_b.jpg
52715538935_947a3c71da_b.jpg

Result: Worst case scenario ;) The scruffier one works essentially as it should. The cosmetically better one has low output from one channel and some background hum and noise.
I am appealing to the hive mind for advice! Thanks for your attention and consideration!

A tale of two Marantz 1060s - which one gets voted off the island? 20 votes

Try to sell the "low output on one channel" amp as-is
25% 5 votes
Try to sell the "ugly but working" amp as-is
5% 1 vote
Try to sell both!
60% 12 votes
They've been here for decades, might as well just put them back on the shelf!
10% 2 votes

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,580
    edited February 2023
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I am currently trying (rather desperately) to cull the herd

There can be only one correct response here. 😉

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Both, you don't need either one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,422
    Swap the scruffy cosmetics to the sucky one!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    msg wrote: »
    Swap the scruffy cosmetics to the sucky one!

Actually, I did that whilst co-cooking dinner tonight.

Used some spiffy tools that I've fairly recently acquired -- a nifty Wiha mini-driver-bit kit from my son (which made quick work of the small Phillips head screws that hold the faceplates on) and a JIS Phillips for the larger screws holding on the metal cabinets.

@F1nut -- I think you're right. Imagine that?! ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,048
    If you don't know already there's another ak audio meetup on April 1st just north of Wooster Mass. No doubt there's someone there that would gladly give these old timers a home.
    I also have a bunch of old audio treasures that I hoped to unload there to but prior commitments are keeping me away once again.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited March 2023
    In retirement I've been going through through
    A bunch of classic gear. Those old Marantzs
    always need a bunch of work. My 1150 is
    finally up to par. You've seen the Kenwood
    Ka7100 pics i posted.. It has been restored
    and sounds great. Now if I could just find
    some reasonably priced knobs.....
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    edited March 2023
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    In retirement I've been going through through
    A bunch of classic gear. Those old Marantzs
    always need a bunch of work. My 1150 is
    finally up to par. You've seen the Kenwood
    Ka7100 pics i posted.. It has been restored
    and sounds great. Now if I could just find
    some reasonably priced knobs.....

That they do. I did sell the grungier one at a very reasonable price with full disclosure of its condition to a guy who still may not know what he got himsef into.

One thing that surprised me when I did the front panel swap of the two 1060s -- the knobs weren't solid aluminum but rather had metal trim over a plastic carcass. I was surprised and disappointed by that -- I didn't think that practice was widespread until later.

I had a KA-7100 (dump find) which I gave away*. It worked OK as is (original condition, but of course would have benefitted from rehabilitation. The practical problem it had was failure of the plastic couplers for the (very sensibly mounted) controls due to deterioration of the plastic parts. :( You'd think they'd have made it to last for 50 years, right?!? ;)

11817257693_da0be04bf0_c.jpg
    you can see my (ahem) "ghetto" repair on the one at the top of the image. As memory serves, it involved CA adhesive and zip ties cranked down tight. A proper repair would have been metal couplers, which I simply never got around to. ;)

11817417304_76b11c70d2_c.jpg

The KA-7100 likewise had the metal-over-plastic knobbage :#

* This wasn't as eleemosynary as it might sound! Years back, I acquired a lovely pair of Altec 604E Duplexes and Mastering Labs XOs from a hifi fellow traveler for a very reasonable price. He mentioned that he'd always wanted a KA-7100 (I don't remember how that topic had arisen any more) and I figured the least I could do is get one to him! :)
  • sucks2beme
    Anymore even a beater is worth
    $$$. Blame ebay. Tons of $300
    UNTESTED gear plastered all
    Over. You'll notice none of it ever
    Sells. But everybody on CL uses
    It as a pricing guide. At $25 knob
    I'll live with the current ones.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    Say "caveat emptor"
    Check all completed listings
    Do you feel lucky?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Anymore even a beater is worth
    $$$. Blame ebay. Tons of $300
    UNTESTED gear plastered all
    Over. You'll notice none of it ever
    Sells. But everybody on CL uses
    It as a pricing guide. At $25 knob
    I'll live with the current ones.

Too bad that didn't trickle up to furniture. I had two very nice solid Oak custom cabinets my father had made for my mother 40yrs ago. They had legs the guy turned on a lathe, everything was solid Oak no plywood. One was a large 1/2 round, one was a 7' tall corner cabinet. Both had very nice adjustable shelves. The 1/2 round had 1/4 round glass in the ends and a locking front door with glass.
    My dad paid very good money for them, I struggled to get $80 for them. Facebook market place is a joke for stuff like this. Folks would talk a good game on the phone yet show up and TELL me they were going to pay $20 or they could get one just like it for free, BYE BYE !! The best was this middle aged lady who had the nads to tell me I would deliver it to her house for FREE and use my truck to do it. She must have banged on my door for 30 minutes after I shut it in her face before I let Chester out.....BOY she was quick to the car!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,422
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Say "caveat emptor"
    Check all completed listings
    Do you feel lucky?
    🤔
    yn35klbpuwow.png

I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2023
    Who is that? I don't trust men with pony tails, they're usually murderers.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited March 2023
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Who is that? I don't trust men with pony tails, they're usually murderers.
    Hey now!
  • Clipdat
    lol! Present company excluded.
  • sucks2beme
    I was just cruising ebay on my knob search.
    Someone is selling used power supply caps.
    Who buys 45 year old used caps?
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    They might need the shells to stuff new parts in.
  • sucks2beme
    Way too small, Kenwood, not the big Marantz dual.
    I did the stuffing thing on the Marantz 1150.
    Turned out better than expected. The hard part
    Of the project was finding a balance slider.
    Ended up using a physically smaller one and
    Extending the shaft. That is the only reason
    I got the amp at a good price.