Can I add a brace to bowed speaker grill?

Options
On both of the 7Bs that I have the vertical sides of the speaker grill are bowed inward which is very noticeable. As I am working on getting thru all the std upgrades I would like to see about this as well, what options are there?

I am going to replace the grill cloth anyway so wondering whether I can add a smallish diameter dowel as a spreader between the frame sides that when the (original) grill frame is installed the dowel is between the PR and driver but not touching the face of the cabinet. Or perhaps after I remove the cloth see if I can get some humidity into the vertical sides, spread it out to normal position (or perhaps a bit more) and then see if it settles in to be correct. I don't really have the resources to fabricate a new frame.

Anybody run into this?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,800
    Options
    I have not seen that before on vintage Polk speakers, but understand exactly what you are describing. Those frames are either particleboard or MDF. Neither likes moisture and both can break easily.

One idea comes to mind, add Bondo to fill in the bowed areas thereby recreating the straight outside edge from top to bottom.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• subkron
    Options
    @F1nut Hmmm, interesting option. I also thought if (and that is a sketchy if) I could push the bow out to be straight and then place a piece of 3/8" aluminum L-bracket attached to the edge (small wood screws) to help keep it straight that may work as well. thx.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,800
    edited February 2023
    Options
    L brackets and small screws are never the answer.

Particleboard and MDF do not hold screws well. When stressed the screws tend to pull out.

If you're going to try wedging a dowel between the sides use wood glue to secure it. If the frame breaks you can use epoxy to repair it and Bondo over the break.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk