two left SDA 2 speakers

Options
hello, I recently saw an ad for a set of SDA 2 speakers. On one of the posted photos, the back of both speakers were shown and it the words "left channel" were on both speakers. Are there enough difference between the right and left speakers that I should not buy the set of Left designated speakers or can I use one for the right side and get away with it?

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,789
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Those appear to be the 2B. You can swap the mid-drivers in one cabinet. To make a right channel move the MW6503 to the left hole and the MW6511 to the right hole. Make sure you label that speaker RIGHT channel.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    You need left AND right to function properly. Which SDA2?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Are there enough difference between the right and left speakers that I should not buy the set
    Yes

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Dancing with two left feet?
  • saipanboi
    Options
    thank you all for your responses. :)
  • saipanboi
    Options
    Are both speakers physically the same? and that the only difference is the hookup between the two speakers? and if that true, is it possible to redo the connections internally to reflect a right channel?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    saipanboi wrote: »
    Are both speakers physically the same? and that the only difference is the hookup between the two speakers? and if that true, is it possible to redo the connections internally to reflect a right channel?

You need to show us a picture of what SDA 2 you're referring to.
    Some of them are not as easy as you think.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    If this is the one you are talking about they are mirror images and therefore a L could not be made into a R and vice versa.

cv2oaoysckn2.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • saipanboi
    Options
    here are the pictures of the unit in question. She looks really clean. I did not realize that their were different variations of the unit. Can some one tell me about this particular variation? He is wanting wanting $480 dollars for the set.562h0ert1yl6.jpg
    vozh0ugpduhs.jpg
    s9vugaspsoxt.jpg
    rm3vtbfun4i1.jpg
  • saipanboi
    Options
    Thank you F1nut and the rest of the great folks here for the great support and response in helping me. I will go ahead and purchase the set. One last question, do I need to change the silver tweeters?
    I have always been in attracted by Polk speakers. It started in Germany while I was stationed there and visited one of the audio clubs. I still remember seeing a gigantic speaker set and wondering how to ship it home.....
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Ask him if they are the 2A or the 2B. The 2A is definitely a tough load for an amplifier to drive because of the low impedance that dips below 4 Ohms. At that price and not having the upgraded silk dome RD0194 tweeters, it is a bit steep or top dollar IMO, especially if 2A.

PS: I see f1 already identified as 2B. Presence of side panels and lack of kick panel at bottom indicates 2B and not 2A? Make sure the IC cable is included. Amazing how many sellers don't have.

From SDA Handbook:

ha552bckhmq9.jpg
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Those appear to be the 2B. You can swap the mid-drivers in one cabinet. To make a right channel move the MW6503 to the left hole and the MW6511 to the right hole. Make sure you label that speaker RIGHT channel.

To be clear the wiring must also follow those drivers.
  • saipanboi
    Options
    Thanks Pitdogg2, I was wondering about the wiring.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    $480 is a ridiculous price. Half of that at best.
  • saipanboi
    Options
    What is a TL upgrade?
  • saipanboi
    saipanboi Posts: 17
    edited February 2023
    Options
    gardenstater: Thanks for the information. I live in Vietnam and US products are expensive here due to the import tax and shipping from the US. It's kind of tricky to ship here since you cannot ship used items into Vietnam.
    Normally, I purchase most of my electronic goodies from Ebay or audiomart. Small items that is. For amps and speakers, I shop the local online market here.

• F1nut
    Options
    saipanboi wrote: »
    What is a TL upgrade?

That involves replacing the stock SL2000 tweeters with the RD0198-1 and adding a 5.8uF cap on each crossover. The result is well worth the effort.

President of Club Polk

• saipanboi
    Options
    They are also selling a Monitor 10 here and I wondering which would be a better buy, the monitor 10's or SDA 2B?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Hands down, the SDA 2B.

President of Club Polk

• saipanboi
    Options
    thank you F1, I just this on youtube. It is the one with two left speakers that I am wanting to purchase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IMOToqRQc&t=34s. I do not know why they love to take speakers apart. It rattles my cage when they do that.
  • saipanboi
    Options
    I just found out the weigh of this monsters :) ( about 40kg/ 80lbs per speaker). Shipping in Vietnam is cheap, so hopefully, I do not have to sell my house.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    The one speaker appears the need the dacron rolled back up. It should not be down in the passive radiator area.
  • F1nut
    Options
    There's no SDA cable.

That guy has filthy fingernails.

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    ^^^^^ OMG, I notice things like that, too.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • skipshot12
    Options
    There's no SDA cable.

Bahahahaaaaaa.....
    Who looks @ fingernails 😳
  • F1nut
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    There's no SDA cable.

Bahahahaaaaaa.....
    Who looks @ fingernails 😳

Those with a sharp eye for detail.

President of Club Polk

• Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Those with a sharp eye for detail.

In the Army, we called it attention to detail. Nowadays, it's imperative to have situational awareness, keeping your head on a swivel. Karens are everywhere! 😳

BTW, nice speakers. :smile:

• saipanboi
    Options
    Well guys, I am buying the set in a few days. I will keep you posted on the journey that my polks and I are going to be on.
  • saipanboi
    Options
    F1, I just came across a set of SDA 1 selling for the same price as the SD2's. Would the SDA1's be a better pickup? Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    Options