Power Cable wire

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited February 2023 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Looking to maybe make a couple custom diy power cables and looking for suggestions on decent low cost mid grade wire to use.

All suggestions welcome.

Note: While wire hangers and even insulated ones are low cost, they are TOO low cost for me lol….
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Talk with Doug.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2023
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Talk with Doug.

Was gonna give him a call. I did see the cable he sells but it’s a bit pricier per foot than I was hoping.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Cryo-treated lamp cord if you can find it.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I will be making a pair of power cables with DH Labs UPOCC teflon insulated silver plated 12awg wire. I have the Cardas plugs I am going to use already. Just need the tech flex (?) braid and some heat shrink and make time for it.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    You might check the VH Audio site for bulk wire and DIY instructions:
    https://www.vhaudio.com/
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited February 2023
    Options
    You have a Home Depot? I made a good power cable with the Southland Wire Royal 10/4 SJOOW. Put Sonarquest plugs on it.e4dalf6k4ow3.jpg
    5k46ooi4cv51.jpg
    Ran the green and red 10g conductors to the ground pin.
    Cost about $60-$70 IIRC

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Thanks Ivan! I was already keyed in on those plugs as my Cullen Cable has them and they are REALLY nice!

https://www.sonarquest.net/sonarquest-se-gp-t-se-gc-t-gold-plated-series-hifi-audio-grade-ac-power-plug-connector.html
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    The sonar quest plugs are definitely good low budget options. I have a few in my setup, upgraded most to furutech ones, but they are much much pricier
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @pitdogg2 ….

How’s this look? Should be enough for a couple cables in here….

https://www.lowes.com/pd/25-ft-10-AWG-4-Black-Power-Cord/50354334
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @pitdogg2 ….

Dan I bought mine by the foot off the roll. Lowe's still cuts that wire by the foot.(Or they did) I totally mis-spoke earlier when I said Home Depot, Lowe's is in fact where I bought it. I bought 8' and I cut 6'2" so I would have a solid 6' of cable after the plugs were attached. They should have the same cable in a 10/3 configuration to cut cost a bit more.
    If you go with the 10/4 attach the red and green to the ground FIRST it is not easy to get two wires in there second or last. Learn from my fight 😁

The Sonarquest IEC plugs really grip IEC sockets I've used them on. That is why I like them.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    @pitdogg2 ….

Dan I bought mine by the foot off the roll. Lowe's still cuts that wire by the foot.(Or they did) I totally mis-spoke earlier when I said Home Depot, Lowe's is in fact where I bought it. I bought 8' and I cut 6'2" so I would have a solid 6' of cable after the plugs were attached. They should have the same cable in a 10/3 configuration to cut cost a bit more.
    If you go with the 10/4 attach the red and green to the ground FIRST it is not easy to get two wires in there second or last. Learn from my fight 😁

The Sonarquest IEC plugs really grip IEC sockets I've used them on. That is why I like them.

They do I was just thinking buying a longer run and then I can make quite a few cables.

What gauge would you go with? 10 or 12?

Here is the by the foot: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Power-cord-Electrical-wire-cable-Electrical/4294542240?refinement=1121786014164,1818683491,3859170455,4294817574

Here is the same cable but in a bit more bulk: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Power-cord-Electrical-wire-cable-Electrical/4294542240?refinement=1818683491,3859170455,4294817574,1121785656773,4294564553
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Your choice 12 is more than enough and much easier to work with.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Def do 12 unless you are doing amplifiers. 10 gauge is gonna be super inflexible

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It is really pretty supple cable and flexes pretty good. I do agree with the amplifier comment, and the 12 would flex much better than the 10/4
    I use mine on the Aragon 8008bb
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Your choice 12 is more than enough and much easier to work with.
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Def do 12 unless you are doing amplifiers. 10 gauge is gonna be super inflexible
    I agree!
    I use mine on the Aragon 8008bb

12 is also cheaper so there is that.

May go grab some of that and some tech flex and have some fun.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Making power cables is a lot of fun! I redid my PC’s for whole system 6 months ago and really glad I did. Really nice to have exactly the right length power cables

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Yeah I got PS Audio AC3s for most of my stuff that matters but I’d love to make a few for other things so I can shorten things up.

Anyone know of a decent priced C7 connector?
  • stangman67
    Options

• stangman67
    Options

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2023
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Really nice to have exactly the right length power cables
    my primary motivation. Even the simpler systems can provide migraine-like cable management woes.

I’ve shopped for C7 chassis connectors for the same reason.

I’m missing one thing: 10 ga (30A rated cable) terminated w/15A rated connectors? Also did I see 10/4 using two conductors for ground? I DO see how that could prevent ground loops.

Thanks. Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Tony DO you have they same questions for Pangea 9 gauge cable using 15 amp ends? Seriously ?
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Tony DO you have the same questions for Pangea 9 gauge cable using 15 amp ends?
    yeah. Why not at least 20A terminations?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2023
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Tony DO you have the same questions for Pangea 9 gauge cable using 15 amp ends?
    yeah. Why not at least 20A terminations?

How many amps use 20amp IEC sockets? Or for that matter CD/SACD players, Pre-amps etc. ? Very few and for those that do I sure would use the correct ends for them especially since the IEC ends are very different and do not interchange. Honestly you can plug many 15amp ends into a 20amp outlet, all I've seen have both connection points. NOW putting a 20amp outlet on 14 gauge wire is asking for trouble and down right stupid, but I see stupid every day. Either way it will not hurt anything, will it make electricity flow better ? Who knows I never said it did. The wire is cheap enough to play with and is good wire that bends easily and has a good jacket. You could easily use the BLK/RED together to the load side and run WHT to neutral and GRN to ground. The reason I used RED to ground was only because the GRN/RED are next to each other in the jacket and it fit right in to the ends the easiest.

I've been braiding cables for years with wire pulled from my job. I've done many configurations and there must be something to as now Audioquest and others sell braided power cables. One cable company I talked to at Axpona one year told me they used so many 17ga cables braided for each leg then braided those to create their special cables which in turn created a 12,10 or 9 gauge cable for each leg depending on the amount of 17 gauge cable used. So I tried those configurations as well, not pretty but very functional.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    My krell amp has a 15amp IEC and a 20 amp breaker, I'm sure a decent audio 15amp plug can handle a lot more than it's rated for.
  • gp4jesus
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @pitdogg2

That braided part of your reply “è molto interessante!*” (is very interesting!). I agree that 20A connectors for 14 ga wire is a fire in the making. Chances are many of us frequently see “stupid” though you allud to a higher (more deadly) form of the same.
    *my phone translated it to Italian 😂

OTOH Lowe’s & HD sell 20A connectors. Why not something better of the same current rating?

I believe I have 20A IEC panel mounted in my parts bin.

It’s all good.