Powering SDA2s

Options
I have a pair of SDA2s that are currently being underpowered by a Yamaha RX-V385. Is there anything better I can get for a budget of around $500? Should I look for an integrated amp around this price point? Currently not using the interconnect cable but have an aftermarket one.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited February 2023
    Options
    E A R L Y ones!

I'll bet those are 4 ohm speakers which could put some stress on your AVR. I'd just look for a dedicated 2 channel amp with high current if your AVR has pre- outs. Where are you located?

Edit: it doesn't have pre-outs so an integrated would be what you need

Double edit: what does the manual say it's wattage is ( consumption, not output)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • StacyBee
    StacyBee Posts: 7
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I’m in Georgia. Honestly, I’m not sure what the consumption is. I’m a novice and I don’t have a manual. Would something like Yamaha A-S501 be a decent one?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    StacyBee wrote: »
    I’m in Georgia. Honestly, I’m not sure what the consumption is. I’m a novice and I don’t have a manual. Would something like Yamaha A-S501 be a decent one?

Yamaha does not list a 4 ohm rating, but it is 4 ohm capable via a switch on the rear panel. Switching to the 4 ohm setting restricts the current in order to save the amp from cooking itself. Basically, that means you can drive your SDA speakers with it, but you will not get optimal performance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StacyBee
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Understood. Thank you. I’ll keep looking for an alternative.
  • F1nut
    Options
    At your price point I think something used might be your best choice. Check the manufacturer specs and if a specific 4 ohm rating is not listed then it's really not 4 ohm capable.

Something like a Marantz PM8005 or PM8006 is 4 ohm rated, but even used they are more than your price point.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StacyBee
    Options
    Looks like I’ll have to increase my budget :)
  • StacyBee
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Sorry. Double post
  • F1nut
    Options
    All is forgiven B)

President of Club Polk

• vader540is
    Options
    StacyBee wrote: »
    I have a pair of SDA2s that are currently being underpowered by a Yamaha RX-V385. Is there anything better I can get for a budget of around $500? Should I look for an integrated amp around this price point? Currently not using the interconnect cable but have an aftermarket one.

NAD2200 & Adcom GFA555 are great budget amps you can find used around $509
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    E A R L Y ones!

I'll bet those are 4 ohm speakers which could put some stress on your AVR. I'd just look for a dedicated 2 channel amp with high current if your AVR has pre- outs. Where are you located?

Edit: it doesn't have pre-outs so an integrated would be what you need

Double edit: what does the manual say it's wattage is ( consumption, not output)

^ What he said.
    Reckon this is a receiver?
    If it has pre-out 5 hunge can get you into a nice two channel amp.
  • skitch_henderson
    Options
    Anyone know about impedance ratings on the SDA-2As? Googling suggests the SDA-2s are rated at 4ohms, but it's not clear to me if that applies to the 2As. I'm trying to figure out if i need to set my AVR to 4ohms or not.

Reading this https://www.hifi-classic.net/review/polk-audio-sda-2a-181.html gives the best info i found on the 2As, and the conclusion re: impedance is that "[the drivers] can handle any power that is likely to be supplied in a home system. " Looks like they found a minimum of 3.5ohms and a max of 12-15ohms through testing. I'm not sure what that means in terms of setting up my AVR, with all other speakers in the surround system rated at 8 ohms (SDA-2As are my fronts in the theatre/music room, paired with more modern polk speakers for the surrounds).
  • StacyBee
    Options
    I ordered the Yamaha A-S801. I spoke to Yamaha and they assured me that this integrated amp would be a great way to drive my speakers. I'm taking delivery tomorrow. :) Thank you for all the input.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The 2A is 4 ohms nominal, meaning for most of the frequency range the speaker operates in the 4 ohm range. Setting your AVR to 4 ohms doesn't mean the AVR is rated to drive 4 ohm loads. The 4 ohm setting restricts current to save the AVR from cooking itself.

President of Club Polk

• skitch_henderson
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The 2A is 4 ohms nominal, meaning for most of the frequency range the speaker operates in the 4 ohm range. Setting your AVR to 4 ohms doesn't mean the AVR is rated to drive 4 ohm loads. The 4 ohm setting restricts current to save the AVR from cooking itself.

Thanks. the AVR is a new Denon X3800H. The manual says to "use speakers between 4-16 ohms" and "set the impedance based on the speaker with the lowest impedance". So i think it's fairly clear what i need to do now that i know the 2As are 4ohms. I wonder if this will reduce performance out of my other speakers though (Polk RCi series in-wall/ceiling and an ES 35 center channel).
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The SDA2a is very hard on receivers. It can and does drop to the mid 3 ohm level. Running more speakers will absolutely run that reciever out of gas quickly. The SDA2a needs to be run off a dedicated amp at a minimum.
  • skitch_henderson
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The SDA2a is very hard on receivers. It can and does drop to the mid 3 ohm level. Running more speakers will absolutely run that reciever out of gas quickly. The SDA2a needs to be run off a dedicated amp at a minimum.

interesting. i got a more powerfull than i thought i needed amp because i did notice the SDA2a sounds way better off the marantz monoblock amps i had vs my old 50wpc receiver. Drawback with the monoblocks is they arent common ground so i lose the interconnect/SDA feature. They still sound good though.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Without The SDA you're missing out, no matter how good you think they sound. Great little speakers that have a large soundstage. You should try a good 2ch common ground amp and prepare to be amazed.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    I've owned the 2a's since 1987, and I can tell you that they are hard on receivers, I've cooked a few. They are harder on amps than my apogee duetta 2 speakers.