Dumb Question?

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I think i am finally going to install the 200 amp alternator in my 01 Escape. Here is my Dumb question. What should I use to connect the Power wire to the Alt post? Crimp ring? Or one of those HD brass ring terminals normally used at the battery? I have a 2 gauge Crimp ring and worry about melting it from the heavy current.

Thanks
Chris :confused:
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    im not sure...but better safe than sorry...and its not like the heavy duty terminals are expensive...
    what kind of alternator are you going with?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2004
    Its made by MrAlternator. Maybe one of the Polk guys could answer this.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2004
    Today, I reluctantly ordered one from Sound Domain. I say this because, All my past orders were problems. I placed orders and the items were not shipped. Back Ordered and they never contacted me. Hopefully, This time will be different. My only other option is to try KnuConceptz.com. Cant remember the exact website address.
    Chris
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    www.knukonceptz.com
    with a k
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2004
    The couple alternators I've done have had short studs on them so I was stuck using the thinnest ring terminals I could find. We've got Monster crimp- on terminals that are thin and worked well.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2004
    Thanks Thom. Now its a matter of me getting time to do it. I am always working on something.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2004
    Finally, I have the new Alt installed in my 01 Escape. What a PIA this was. Took about 4 hours total. I think this was the hardest one I have done to date. Lumina Euro 3.4 is a cakewalk. That I was to drop the subframe and Not take the Axle out.
    Oh, I am using 2 gauge wire, 200 amp fuse. And a Crimp ring terminal. The Battery terminal was to big.
    Chris
  • denis87
    denis87 Posts: 86
    edited June 2004
    as soon as the warranty is up on my 04 civic i'm buying a better alternator and an optima yellow top battery.
    www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com