What amp to use?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just bought a Honda Accord from a private seller. Seller's ex removed the amp and now the (factory) radio does not play at all. Speakers are Polk DX9. What amp do I need? Also there are RCA ZN2.0 cables, as well as speaker wires in the trunk where the amp was located. Thanks for any advice--I know nothing.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    they probably had an aftermarket radio they took with them and put the stock one back...
    first thing id do is get an aftermarket radio...
    your speakers will at least work...
    then if you feel like spending more money, then you can add an amp later
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    When they installed the factory head unit they didnt connect the speaker wires probably. You could pull out the HU and see if everything is hooked up.

If they are hooked up then pull out the speakers and if they have aftermarket speaker wire hooked to them then look around for the factory wire and hook them back to the speakers. If there is factory wire then trace from where the amp was and find where the amp wire splices into the factory wire and reconnect it.

That should keep you going for a while at least. If you still want an amp, which I suggest, a really good cheap one then try this Phoenix Gold Octane R for $129. It isnt the biggest baddest thing in the world but it will provide good clean power that will be a thousand times better than your HU.

I was going to recommend the Alpine 2 channel off of Circuit Citys website but apparantly they dont even carry Alpines cheap line anymore. I guess Circuit City is going to ****. They might as well get rid of all the MTX amps theyve got. True they are MTXs cheap line but their still way to good to be in there with the Verge, ESA and Audiobahn ****! What a freaking disapointment! :(
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D