Digital Coax and USB cables

Options
Let me begin by saying that I do believe cables make a difference, but I am skeptical about digital coax and USB cables offering much improvement. I run AQ WEL from my Arcam to the amps, AQ Meteor Duble Biwires to my L800's and Douglas Connections for the rest of the setup.

I am looking to use Coax out from my Oppo 203 to the Simaudio 380d, and need recommendations for the Coax and also for the USB connection from my PC to the DAC... I also need to understand if there really is that much improvement by laying out $$$ for these cables. Everything is sounding really good as it is.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Not only do they make a difference, the connectors and length play a role.

1.5m bnc digital cable for coax. Everything else is wrong!

One of the biggest improvements I experienced was from the digital coax
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    The only coax I can use needs rca termination. What about USB?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    I recommend changing the rca jacks in the equipment to BNC

I'm not as versed in usb
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,427
    Options
    I'm curious about the bnc connections as well. What happens when bnc to RCA adapters are used?
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Options
    The problem with rca connections is they can't ever truly be 75 ohms guaranteed.

Bnc is 75 ohms guaranteed!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,427
    Options
    I remember you mentioning that now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    edited January 2023
    Options
    *Within a tolerance of 10%. If in doubt, ohm it out.

Damn, I 'm a poet and didn't know it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Little bit more to it than that, good article to show how

https://www.jackenhack.com/cable-impedance-how-to-measure/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    I just picked up an Audioquest Diamond USB to go from my computer to the Moon 380d DSD... in for a penny I guess.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    @VR3 has it right, characteristic impedance is a difference type of measurement for a transmission line cable.