Weak left channel w/interconnect cable

Options
Basic question and I'm obviously not an audiophile.. Polk SDA 2's, Technics SA 700. When using the interconnect cable and I turn the balance all the way to the left there's barely any sound. Switched to the right, the sound is normal from the right speaker. In the middle, the sound seems fuller on the right although both speakers have output. Verified the speaker wires are correct, is there something else I'm missing here? Anything else to check? Thanks

Best Answer

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Have you tried a different pair of speakers with the SA-700 to see if it's working properly for both left and right channels?

If you unplug the SDA interconnect cable do you still get any sound from the left speaker?

Another thing you can try as a diagnostic is to run the speaker wire for the right channel on the amp to the left speaker and the left channel to the right speaker. If the problem remains in the left speaker that speaker has something wrong with it. If the problem shifts to the right speaker there's something wrong with the amp.

Answers

• troykeith
    Options
    Thanks, think it must be in the amp. Unplugged the interconnect cable and no sound.. switched the speaker wires and the problem flipped - should have done that first!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    troykeith wrote: »
    Thanks, think it must be in the amp. Unplugged the interconnect cable and no sound.. switched the speaker wires and the problem flipped - should have done that first!

We all over think the obvious from time to time. It happens.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    troykeith wrote: »

On the bright side you may have found your speakers will work properly with a different amp. :)