The Simaudio Moon DAC 380d DSD with MiND

Options
Sonic realism... I term I am finally coming to realize is not just a mythical beast that we all chase until we give up or die trying to achieve. A year ago, if anyone were to tell me that an AVR paired with a DAC of decent quality could actually get me to a place where I would be listening to music from my computer instead of my turntable, I would have had a really good laugh.

The Simaudio Moon 380d DSD is just such a component, and the Arcam AVR20 is an overall better performer than the Pass Labs X0.2 it replaced. Computer audio is both warm and detailed, in a way that beats anything I was ever able to get out of my turntable setup. That music can be this enjoyable without having to futz with the idiosyncrasies of vinyl or the digital sheen of cd's is something that I have to get used to.

The Moon is a very well-built piece of equipment. I have never heard backgrounds that are so devoid of noise and other disturbing artifacts that detract from the music. From this blank canvas emerges performances that are both transparent and revealing. Every pick of a string, strike of a cymbal, or vibrato in a voice is given a level of realism that can have you believe the image laid out lushly before you is something that you can touch. It is a visceral experience to listen to music this way. It is beyond just sitting back and listening, as you become one with the performance as if the artists are there just for you.

I will still get another turntable setup going at some point, but it will be for nostagia's sake rather that serious listening. I guess you could say I am over the Moon with the way the new setup has come together, and there are no regrets with how it all turned out.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited January 2023
    Options
    No love for Moon? :D:s:p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    Options
    Glad you are digging it!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    My mission today or tomorrow will be to listen to some Moon amps, starting with the Ace comparing it to a Naim Uniti Atom. This dealer has been touting Simaudio for a long time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    edited January 2023
    Options

Wanna see my moon? You'll love it!
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Oh yea, love the Moon gear.
    Had a couple of their older pieces...
    Moon W-10's & the P5 dual mono preamp.
    Damn sweet gear. One of the few pieces of gear I wish I hadn't sold.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Calling bull shift if I don't see a pic.....
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    trvyv0gk8umd.jpg
    i9ltd8e1oarq.jpg
    iap36447demb.jpg
    vazpcm9kgc9k.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Wanna see my moon? You'll love it!

Save it for Tom... he is into that plumber's crack stuff.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    Options
    Internal pic
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    Options
    I think these guys need to update their displays to OLED, which they use in the Ace, but not much else. Hope that’s dimmable.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    I think these guys need to update their displays to OLED, which they use in the Ace, but not much else. Hope that’s dimmable.

I turn the display off..

• skipshot12
    Options
    Moon is sexy…..
  • maxward
    Options
    How do like the Mind?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    How do like the Mind?

I have not tried that aspect yet. so far only physical connections.

• halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Hey man. I was tortured for some time, some years ago baby sitting ( that dang TXCOASTAL fella) some Dyns and a Simaudio Moon 780D. The 780D was an extremely versatile setup using Synology to stream.

However, at the time I was obsessed with dacless designed DAC's from Lampizator and Chord.

Cheers to you John and enjoy.

Pics from a home some moons ago that also had an audio setup in 4 other rooms (pre children)

Regards
    Halen

yz5gytj0lpzl.jpeg
    jrbml7ae5zxx.jpeg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,326
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    <snip>... dacless designed DAC's from Lampizator and Chord.

'Sup Halen?! Alright, you got me on this one. What is a "dacless DAC"?

That makes no sense to me.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Tom!! Long time my friend. Am trying to wake up by drinking my decaf coffee here. I also see you got some new dang nice speakers.

Maybe I should have said chipless DAC’s. Yeah no maybe to it, I just should have.

halen
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,326
    Options
    Ah, gotcha. That makes much more sense. Ya' had me goin' there this mornin'.

Yeah, been having a blast with the new speakers.....and fun with my streaming audio journey as well. Lot's to learn, lots of fun to be had!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~