What level of cap and resistor would be the best bang for my buck on a small upgrade?

JayDog
JayDog Posts: 266
edited January 2023 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am upgrading the tweeter caps, tweeter resistors and all the iron core inductors if there is any on the four R100 reserves arriving Thursday. I am also switching out the same parts on the R300 center.
All of this is going to be done on original boards and keeping the original wire and I am wanting to get the most out of my money and be able to fit the original board back in the R100 mounting hole. I was wanting to know does anyone have a link or thread here where this has been done already with the R100? I've seen the R200 mod threads.

I was thinking of using Clarity CSA caps and mills resistors on the tweeter, any advice or input on what would be best parts or best methods for the upgrade, anything to avoid, whatever! all of it would be very much appreciated!
I am still very green to DIY world and I have seen some master class workmanship here at Club Polk.

Thank You for any feedback or advice Members!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I would go with a brighter sounding cap like Jantzen and Jantzen superes resistors
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    and be able to fit the original board back in the R100 mounting hole.
    That will be tough.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayDog
    edited January 2023
    VR3 wrote: »
    I would go with a brighter sounding cap like Jantzen and Jantzen superes resistors

I was wanting to gain some sparkle, I haven't heard the Reserve line yet, but i owned the LSIM 707 703 and 706 7.2 for my main HT system a couple years ago and other than the bass lacked a little texture or nuance and the tweeter had no sparkle on top it was one of my favorite Home theater systems.

Thank you I will try the Jantzen Z-Superior caps!
  • JayDog
    edited January 2023
    F1nut wrote: »
    and be able to fit the original board back in the R100 mounting hole.
    That will be tough.

I know the Z-Superior are even bigger than the CSA caps, I was hoping to fit it all on there..
  • JayDog
    edited January 2023

Do you think swapping all the caps and then inductors and then resistors on order most improvement per dollars or resistor and than inductors? Iron core do not count, those are out of the signal path no matter what, In your Opinion, rate the most important parts 2 swap out including wire and push on ends, caps, inductors, resistors etc etc?

is it caps first, than inductors, resistors, wire, push-on ends and back plate ends whatever is in signal path?

Thanks.. I am really impressed with your work Bro! those Focals XO's are SICK you built!
  • VR3
    Thank you!

Resistors and series caps would be my start, then series inductors, then everything else

The csa is very neutral so it won't add much of anything other than more transparency but the reserve series is pretty relaxed
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • JayDog
    edited January 2023
    Thank you!

Resistors and series caps would be my start, then series inductors, then everything else

The csa is very neutral so it won't add much of anything other than more transparency but the reserve series is pretty relaxed

OKAY while your still awake last question for you bro, what do you thinks is best bang cap on the Jantzen line up? I am buying for 5 speakers total you think the cross-cap, standard, Silver or Supere caps? without wasting to much cash? and I got the resistor you recommended, thanks for your help!
  • VR3
    Superior z seems to be the best starting point for caps