LEGEND L800

Options
I have serious questions that I need answered. I cannot rely on your call center in the Philippines to I have tried over 20 times to talk to somebody in the states.I have a HEGEL H20 amp that I just got a few weeks ago in anticipation of hooking it up to the Legend. However, I watched a video that is scaring the heck out of me.https://youtu.be/6MLgmBm-LtE. It discussed compatibility with external amps . Is my Hegel H20 compatible. I spent $6000 on this amp and $6000 on the speakers. IS this compatible and unbalanced? This needs to be readily available to purchasers before they are allowed to buy the Legend. Here is the details:
H20 High-End Power Amplifier, 2x200W 8 ohms, 2x350W in 4 ohms. The Hegel H20 incorporates the latest version of the Hegel FET-technology. A practical benefit of the H20 FET-technology is a more rhythmic sound. It is simply better at re-creating a bass line. Another vital element is the removal of harmonic echoes in the higher frequencies, which result in a lot more detail and still a smoother and more natural sound. The core design of the H20 is based on the H30 reference amplifier, with the best possible implementation of our patented and laser trimmed SoundEngine modules. Also designed in the timeless Hegel look, it will fit in any modern or classic home. Just one single button on the front and a solid bead blasted and anodized front panel. A truly rigid design with well over 1,5 kg of aluminium in the front panel alone.

New too the H20 is bead blasted and anodized top and side covers. This adds to the exclusive look, and the overall design is more consistent. The Hegel H20 is a remarkable power amplifier with power capabilities of more than 130 Ampere. Extremely low distortion levels. Amongst the highest damping factor in the industry, and full control of the loudspeakers. All this to give you the most NATURAL, RHYTHMIC and DYNAMIC sound on the market today.

Technical Details

Output power: More than 200W + 200W in 8 ohms, Dual mono
Inputs: RCA unbalanced and XLR balanced
Speaker outputs: Two pairs of heavy duty gold plated terminals
Input Impedance: Balanced 10kohm, unbalanced 50kohm
Frequency response: Less than +/- 0.2 dB deviation 20Hz-20kHz
Phase response: Less than 2 degrees deviation 20Hz- 20kHz
Signal to noise ratio: More than 100dB
Crosstalk: Less than -100dB
Distortion: Less than 0.006 % at 100W i 8 ohm
Intermodulation: Less than 0.01 % (19kHz + 20kHz)
Damping factor: More than 1000
Power Supply: 1000VA dual mono, 90 000uF capacitors
Output stage: 20 pcs 15A 200W high speed, Ultra low distortion bipolar transistors
Power consumption: 60W in standby switched on
Dimensions/weight: 12cm x 43cm x 37cm (HxWxD), weight 25kg
Dimensions/weight US: 4.7″ x 17″ x 15″ (HxBxD), weight 55 lbs

My phone number is 540-521-3534 John Clark. Thanks!

Answers

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Probably the best source of information would be either the audio shop who sold you the amplifier or the amplifier manufacturer themselves. The speaker requires a common ground compatible amplifier, one that permits the left channel ground and the right channel ground to be connected. Without seeing the amplifier's schematic (most boutique companies are reluctant to publish this) it is impossible to know. If you have the amplifier there are some simple tests you can do, but you will need a Volt/Ohm meter to measure the resistance (hopefully 0 ohms) between left and right grounds.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The New SDA Legends do not require common ground. They are not compatible with Balanced Differential amplifier designs. Contact an engineer with Hegel to be certain, but I see no reference to your amp being of that design type, so you should be good.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • clarkinc21
    Options

nooshinjohn, thank you for your time.
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    Hegel H20 is a balanced differential amplifier. Gonna have to take back the Polks.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    clarkinc21 wrote: »
    Hegel H20 is a balanced differential amplifier. Gonna have to take back the Polks.

Take back the Hegel instead and use a different amp. The Polks are magic.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    If I had to choose one or the other ...
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    Hi John,

Please note that H20 is technically speaking not a balanced differential amp, however, this amp has a dual mono construction with separate ground for left and right channel. Left and right negative terminals must therefore not be connected (short circuited) or mixed up as this could lead to serious damage to the amp.

Best regards

Hegel Music System AS – Oslo, Norway

Christian
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    can I use the legends after seeing the comment from Hagel? Thanks for your help. Confused as hell.
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    Yesterday a sales rep said from Hagel it was a Hegel H20 is a balanced differential amplifier. Today from an engineer for Hagel he said technically speaking not a balanced differential amp. Very confusing
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I'd go with what the engineer is saying. A dual mono amp can be used with the L800s. A balanced differential design can't. Neither will blow anything up but as the engineer said, don't attempt a workaround to it being a dual mono amp.

Give it a whirl and see how it sounds!
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    Emlyn, or anybody, Thank you so much. I just want to hook up the speakers and not have to worry about losing sound quality or hurting the amp or speakers. I'm an amateur but got a big taste for Mr. Jimi. Am I good to hook them up normally, will I get 100% quality from the polks and h20? Would never do a workaround, don't know enough to even try.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited January 2023
    Options
    FWIW I searched the L800 manual and couldn't find any mention of a need to avoid non common ground amplifiers. That would be a pretty bad omission to have been omitted. Nothing about differential amplifiers, balanced or unbalanced, either however.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Why would anyone trust what a salesman says over an engineer who helped design it. Dual mono and balanced differential are two totally different designs.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    If the engineer said you are good, you are good! Hook those Legends up and let them sing. I look forward to your review.

• clarkinc21
    Options
    nooshinjohn, is he indeed saying it ok to use? Thanks, little confusing
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    clarkinc21 wrote: »
    nooshinjohn, is he indeed saying it ok to use? Thanks, little confusing

YES!!! He is saying the amp is a dual mono. It is not a differential amp. Differential is a problem, common ground is not. You WILL BE SAFE! I run monoblocks which are not common ground by design! Let them make some music. Here is a tread you may find useful...
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195903/life-with-the-legend-l800/p1

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I'll ask Polk's Scott Orth and Tony Prachniak about this combination of speaker and amplifier.
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    nooshinjohn u rock. Appreciate you
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    SeleniumFalcon, thanks for looking out. Wish I could buy all you beers!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I'm quite impressed that Hegel answers customer questions on unusual questions so quickly. The sign of an excellent company!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    The reply:

Hi Ken,

The interconnect does not connect the negative leads of the left and right amplifiers together. The positive leads ARE connected through the crossover and drivers, but not directly connected.. They are capacitively coupled, so shouldn’t pose an issue for DC. I cannot speak for this particular amplifier (we can’t test all of them), but non-common grounds like these shouldn’t be a problem as it is the difference in potential that is used between the two amplifiers.

To sum up, there are no short circuits between the two amplifiers. There is no connect between the negatives and the positives run through a capacitively couple load.

Hope this helps.

Scott
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    Emelyn, Hegel US general manager has called me multiple times today trying to gather as much information as possible to give to the engineers in Norway. Very very impressed with them.
  • clarkinc21
    Options
    SeleniumFalcon, please let Scott know I appreciate his time and expertise. as for you, thanks for using your contacts to help a brother out!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    No problem, enjoy your system!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    If you give it a go...please comeback and report your opinion. I've always liked Hegel sound. Very similar to Modwright which is another fav'

Congrats on the setup
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • clarkinc21
    Options

txcoastal1, I will definitely give an update. Thanks