Is this a good deal? Used bespoke 7.1 Polk setup. Need advice from the wise!

Options
Hello all, first time poster...

I've been looking for a good quality used speaker set to replace my old libratone soundbar.
Someone is selling a great condition Polk set which includes:
2 RTI A9
1 Centre CSI A6
2 Surround FXI A6 Left and Right
2 RTI A1
1 Sub DSW pro

Asking $1,400 USD ($1800 cad... I'm in Canada)
1) If this is high, please suggest a reasonable price for this set.
2) please opinions on if this is a good system for movies (and of course for the price).

This will be for movies and tv pretty much exclusively (I don't listen to music much at all). I've hardwfhis series can be a little bright, but that shouldn't be an issue for movies?

Thank you all for the input!

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Good deal. What will you be driving this set up with? Those RTiA9's should have more than a reciever or weak amp behind them or you'll likely be popping tweeters.
  • Nikolas2882
    Nikolas2882 Posts: 3
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Not sure about the receiver. Thinking of a receiver with 4k 120hz to future proof myself. Maybe the denon S960h. Would that work?

Sorry I'm fairly new with the rabbit hole of hi-fi, so besides receiver and speakers (moderate newbie), I'm a real noob in everything else lol.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Make sure whatever reciever you choose it has pre-outs to be able to add an amplifier/amplifiers down the road. Either 2 ch amp or mulit-channel 5-7. All recievers are only rated to run 2 channels at the respected wattage sometimes at only 1khz and not the entirety of the 20hz-20khz audio spectrum, what they lack is CURRENT to drive large speakers appropriately. For instance receivers rated at 120 WPC at 2 channels may only push 60 WPC or less with multiple speakers therefore starving the larger speakers of power at peak times during action scenes.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    One of the drawbacks of getting a good deal on a used speaker system is they sometimes require spending more than one spends on them to get a receiver with enough amplification current to drive them all properly at the same time.

The speakers would be hobbled by the Denon S960H. It'll work but you'd have to keep the volume down to avoid damaging the speakers. Those RTiA9s are big power hungry speakers. That model also doesn't have preamplifier outputs for anything other than the subwoofer so no room for growth.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Not sure about the receiver. Thinking of a receiver with 4k 120hz to future proof myself. Maybe the denon S960h. Would that work?

Sorry I'm fairly new with the rabbit hole of hi-fi, so besides receiver and speakers (moderate newbie), I'm a real noob in everything else lol.

Good deal on the speakers, that will make a killer home theater!

No go on that denon. You need something from this list (a receiver with multi channel preouts), ideally adding a two channel amplifier down the road, because those A9s are very hard to drive: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?home_audio_key[]=Mulit-Channel Preout
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Good deal, but nothing bespoke about the speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    This is the minimum level of receiver I'd consider for an RTiA9 based home theater system. Price is lower because of a new line of receivers coming out. A Denon receiver wouldn't be my first choice for RTiA speakers unless a very bright and ear piercing sound was desired.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR6015/Marantz-SR6015.html?tp=179
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I would go with this one and use the extra cash for a 2 channel amp for those A9s: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5015/marantz-sr5015-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-8k-receiver-w/heos/1.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nikolas2882
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all!

The guy has since lowered the price to $1500 cad ($1100usd), making it a better deal :)

I like marantz, although it's a sister company to denon, no? So they are better quality?
    It's seems agreed here that I'll need a powerful amp to power the rtia9s.
    Just curious, is that a good or a bad thing? Ie is more power mean more music OR speakers are less efficient so more heat loss?
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Basically what was said above……
    Receivers greatly diminish wattage/current when driving more than two speakers in a stereo setup.
    Even just driving the two rti’s with that receiver, in 2-channel stereo, is pushing it.

Problem is clipping and destroying the tweets at any reasonable volume.

Would be a great setup with a two channel high current amp, for driving the rti’s, via preamp thru the receiver…..

Nice set of speaks for a surround system.
    There are some nice two channel amps that could be had for cheap on the used market.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Think you can find some used Adcom’s for well under a grand.