New Sonus Faber Homage

Options
xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,793
Today on the Grammophone Youtube channel. They will be inroducing the new SF Homage line of loudspeakers.
3k8k5gjxitu1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaxYzuSxDEA
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
  • xsmi
    Options
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    A lotta money
    I think you can match it for less
    Just my opinion
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,067
    Options
    I heard a similar my line at a local dealer was very unimpressed for the coin. They had the drivers on display in a flight case and that is a very cheap tweeter in that speaker
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    I’ve seen the Luminas. I have no idea what the sound signature of Sonus Faber generally is .. aren’t they generally a jazz and classical speaker ? I think I heard one years ago. Sounded great on jazz but not sure if it was good for rock etc. .. but now maybe they are more versatile? The lumina models seemed to get good reviews.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hot tweeters, has been my experience with them. Too much zing and sizzle.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,192
    Options
    That shocks me. The SF’s I thought were supposed to be warmer speakers
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Options
    I’ve listened to Venere towers and Olympica towers (about 5 years ago) and didn’t get that impression. Maybe their newer stuff is a bit more bright

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It was at Axpona '19 but it was more than one setup/model, but it was their high-end towers. Ear piercing treble.

IIRC it was high end McIntosh monoblock amps running them.

It's very possible they would sound different in a different room or with different amplification/source equipment.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Well you and I both know that a lot of very high end speaks are incredibly revealing. Same in the Focal line, go higher than Kanta and you find yourself with (if not set up properly) some very fatiguing high end

• Clipdat
    Options
    cwm9xbk126ks.jpg
    eq8c5c7v516q.jpg

And this one takes the cake of being the absolute worst. Unlistenable. Didn't even want to stay long enough to get this photo:
    dftoit6a7x5l.jpg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,067
    Options
    Most brightness comes from upstream distortions, which is what they are revealing. Assuming their response is linearish
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    My impression also
    Unnatural treble accentuation on the new gear.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • xsmi
    Options
    They do have a warmer presentation in my experience, much warmer than Focal or Wilson.I heard them last weekend and I don't know where you heard them, but the setup I heard them on was quite smooth. The WERE in an all McIntosh stack and if I'd had the dough, I would've walked out with that exact set-up. Although I'd prefer used Il Cremenese