Monitor 7 RDO 194 vs Monitor 7B Peerless

Options
If you were going to choose?

Why?

Can a person still get peerless tweeters?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    They (Peerless) seem to be getting harder to get and in rougher shape than years past.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,701
    Options
    The original silk domes are comprised of a protein that deteriorates over long periods.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited January 2023
    Options
    If the Peerless tweeters were original to the Monitor 7s and still worked fine I'd think twice about replacing them. Any other situation and I'd use the RD0 tweeters and wouldn't think twice about it. Age related issue avoidance mainly but there is something to admire in having a vintage speaker with all original drivers. Unless the tweeter is an SL2000!
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,185
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    The original silk domes are comprised of a protein that deteriorates over long periods.

I found out that proteolytic enzymes are not a good component in whatever doping materials we use (lol), and gamma radiation (a la Bruce Banner) are also to be avoided.

pxm1hdyban0e.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    Guess you'll be ok as long as you don't run a full-body scan on those 7's.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    Another issue with replacing the Peerless with the RD0194 is the tweeter face plates are different sizes and the speaker bezel would need to be modified.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is about replacing a Peerless with an RD0194 or if it is about choosing between a Monitor 7 that came with Peerless over one that came with SL2000, modded to RD0. As far as swapping the tweeters goes, a lot of the Thiele Small Parameters between the two are quite different. Qts, Qms, Qes and Le are Iower in the Peerless. I suppose the two key ones would be the impedance and sensitivity graphs. Impedance is definitely higher in the Peerless KO10DT.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Another issue with replacing the Peerless with the RD0194 is the tweeter face plates are different sizes and the speaker bezel would need to be modified.

Or just run the RDO bezel on a mill to trim. BTDT
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options
    I have both and (to my old ears) they both sound fine. I think the Peerless tweet has acquired a sort of "celebrity status" over time. Having said that, I have never touched my Monitor 4's (not even to rebuild the XO)...and probably never will.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited January 2023
    Options
    For the record I’m not wanting to replace peerless with RDO’s, I wouldn’t even think about that. Was just a general question about which one someone likes better of the two models, and why. Second question was just a last minute thought as I have not tried sourcing peerless teeters..
  • xschop
    Options
    Don't think youd go wrong either way pending the RDOs had a set of billet plates.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I would like to know too and it will be super helpful for someone who has the equipment (hint) to do comparison testing between the two, under identical testing procedures. FWIW this is the anechoic frequency response of the KO10DT Peerless tweeter (from the back of a NOS packaging box), which is of course without the "aperture tuning" hole that Polk modified them with. Shows a 5dB peak around 14kHz. This is also tested in an IEC baffle (I would assume) because they say Mounting: Wall.

i8dqmj5e3jcj.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS