Integrated Amps

jmwest1
jmwest1 Posts: 11
edited January 2023 in Electronics
Hi all! I haven't posted much under this username, but I've been here for years under aiconn. I'm looking at purchasing an integrated amp. I've narrowed it down to a Peachtree Nova 150 or Musical Fidelity A3. I'm familiar with the Peachtree sound, but I've not heard anything from Musical Fidelity. Would someone comment on the choices, or throw out something else? BTW, my budget is $1000.
PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
Denon DVD 2910
Quad 12L Active Monitors
Marin Logan Dynamo 700W

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Not a fan of Peachtree, myself; most guys on here speak well of Musical Fidelity.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    jmwest1 wrote: »
    Hi all! I haven't posted much under this username, but I've been here for years under aiconn. I'm looking at purchasing an integrated amp. I've narrowed it down to a Peachtree Nova 150 or Musical Fidelity A3. I'm familiar with the Peachtree sound, but I've not heard anything from Musical Fidelity. Would someone comment on the choices, or throw out something else? BTW, my budget is $1000.

Love my musical fidelity A308! By far the best integrated I’ve had, although I haven’t had a lot. Cambridge Azur 851a and a peachtree nova 220se are probably the other two contenders, and although I really enjoyed the original peachtree nova, the 220se couldn’t compete with the Cambridge, and the Cambridge couldn’t compete with the MF imho…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Rooftop is correct. I also have the MF A308 and it’s also the best integrated I’ve had. I am definitely a Musical Fidelity fan. Mine is going nowhere unless I can move up the MF line.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    I've been looking at $1K and under integrated with a home theater bypass function. The super hyped Audiolab 6000a was on my list as well as the Musical Fidelity M2si. I've never demoed either one so the choice is tough. Then there were some deals here and there that I missed out on. So, I'm, back where I started. I'm looking at preamps and DACs mated with a 200w per channel B&K amp as an option vs. an integrated.

Still, that dual mono A3 that you are looking at might be hard to top if you are getting at a good price given their age. Some that found it forward and bright have been able to tame the sound to their liking with cables an interconnects. Go for it!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jmwest1
    jmwest1 Posts: 11
    While ingesting everyone's suggestions and deciding I was thrown a curveball. Years ago my 2 channel system was comprised of a Cambridge Audio Azur 640a integrated, a 640c disc spinner, and Totem Rainmaker speakers. When I moved into the current house I got a wild hair and sold that stuff off to fund a home theater setup. It was nice, but I really missed what I had before. Over time I picked up a PS Audio SGC DAC and a pair of Quad 12L active monitors, but they just didn't do it for me.

The curveball was a pair of Totem Rainmakers popped up at a great price. So I jumped on them. There went a third of my budget. Within a couple of days I saw a Cambridge Audio Azur 651a for sale at another great price. I picked that up, and a pair of bi-wire speaker cables. I am getting old, but I think it sounds better than my old rig.

Thanks for the input on the integrated amps. At some point, most likely when I hit the lottery, I'm going after a Musical Fidelity M5si. I still have about a third of my original budget so maybe it'll come sooner.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • I love my Yamaha AS2200. I would heartily recommend a used AS1000 or 2000 which should be in that price range and should have no issues driving your speaks :)

Hope this helps :)
  • Sitka
    Sitka Posts: 74
    I too have a Yamaha AS2200 and the sound is amazing, especially with well recorded hi-def tracks. I'd look into the Yamaha AS801 which includes a built-in DAC and is in your budget. The AS1200 is a step up and unlike the 801 it's pure analog - no DSP or digital anything. You can find used 1200's in your price range on ebay.