Recommended Polk tower speaker under $700/pair

I'm new here, and spent a few days perusing the forums. What a cool resource! I'm looking to upgrade my 20 year old Yamaha tower speakers with something a bit better. Looking for more clarity and overall better experience. I want to hear the music and not artifacts from the speakers. The living room is carpeted and about 20ft wide x 14 x 8. Mostly listen at low to medium volume, mostly 80's new wave but also classic rock, jazz, etc. Don't need wall-shaking bass, and I have a soundbar with subwoofer for TV that works well enough. If I catch the ES55 speakers on sale, would these be about the best option? Advisor at Crutchfield also recommended Klipsch RP-280F. Thanks in advance.
Technics SA-500 receiver, Sony 5 CD changer, Technics RS-M33G cassette deck, Yamaha NS-8390 speakers

Comments

• The Technics receiver is 55 WPC and just over 40 years old.
    Technics SA-500 receiver, Sony 5 CD changer, Technics RS-M33G cassette deck, Yamaha NS-8390 speakers
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The ES55 would serve you well at that price point when they go on sale. Nice size room for them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    One thing for sure, you don't want Klipsch speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Check your local Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, let the forum know what's available to you. There's lots of different option at that price point usually.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    edited January 2023
    That same exact receiver was my very first audio purchase in 1979, before I got my 7Bs. I still have it in it's box and was surprised to see one sell for a bit over $300 on eBay not too long ago. Anyway, just throwing it out there that I was never satisfied with the bass I got and, admittedly after a long period of storage and time between listening, when I tried the speakers with a vintage Crown D150 (currently using) the bass was quite improved. Issue of low vs fairly high damping factor? Dunno. I started out with the same 16awg lamp cord (now upgraded of course) that I used previously so that rules that out.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Thanks for the feedback. Open to used equipment - I only acquired the receiver last year, as I wanted something vintage (silver face) and 50 wpc or greater, yet affordable. Klipsch seems to be everywhere, but here in southern NJ/Philadelphia region, there seems to be no authorized Polk dealers with ES speakers to audition. Best Buy doesn't have them in their listening rooms or in stock, and HH Gregg no longer has physical stores.
  • Wait, looks like Audiolab, now in Morrisville PA, stocks them. Yay!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Thanks for the feedback. Open to used equipment - I only acquired the receiver last year, as I wanted something vintage (silver face) and 50 wpc or greater, yet affordable. Klipsch seems to be everywhere, but here in southern NJ/Philadelphia region, there seems to be no authorized Polk dealers with ES speakers to audition. Best Buy doesn't have them in their listening rooms or in stock, and HH Gregg no longer has physical stores.

I would definitely recommend searching used. At the esteemed @tonyb I believe once said, speakers are like cars and manufactured homes. The value tanks as soon as you drive them off the lot. You get a LOT more bang for your buck used...

seems like a solid deal: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/berwyn-polk-sda-1c-refurbished/7567842680.html

not sure how far this is from you, but also a good deal: https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/d/ardsley-polk-monitor-70-series-ii/7568245323.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer