SDA 3.1 TL crossover build on gimpod boards

5ljnx0t7rx48.jpg

Wow after some 2 year delay I am hoping to tackle this project. My brain is starting to clear and the parts look like a project instead of random spaghetti so I have hope. Fortunately there are some good threads here even with gimpods site down. I see one jumper required on his schematic and the rest looks standard. I planned to change the big inductor with optional connector so I will have to figure that out.

It will be a bit, but I figure posting here will be like telling some I intend to do it and motivate me. Wish me luck and happy new year.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Rock on, we’re ready for show & tell
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Hey baby that is some gorgeous kit!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Will you be replacing the sub-bass drive inductors also?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    What's up Jeff. Just get it started and you'll have it done in no time!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • xschop - yes i bought replacement sub-bass inductors and probably have the optional connectors gimpod recommended. I just haven't laid it out to see how that connection gets made.

Hey Ricardo. Kids are keeping me busy with school. I am giving myself a few weekends to do this. hopefully less than 8. My goal for this weekend is to pull one crossover for reference and see how all of it is supposed to connect. It is a much easier project than the LSi9s I did, but it has been a while.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    5ljnx0t7rx48.jpg

Wow after some 2 year delay I am hoping to tackle this project. My brain is starting to clear and the parts look like a project instead of random spaghetti so I have hope. Fortunately there are some good threads here even with gimpods site down. I see one jumper required on his schematic and the rest looks standard. I planned to change the big inductor with optional connector so I will have to figure that out.

It will be a bit, but I figure posting here will be like telling some I intend to do it and motivate me. Wish me luck and happy new year.

My 3.1TL's have Tony's Boards with Gen 1 Sonicaps and Mills Resistors.

You are in for a treat when the new x-overs completely run in ;)

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    You can do it!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited January 2023
  • xschop
    edited January 2023
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    xschop - yes i bought replacement sub-bass inductors and probably have the optional connectors gimpod recommended. I just haven't laid it out to see how that connection gets made.

Hey Ricardo. Kids are keeping me busy with school. I am giving myself a few weekends to do this. hopefully less than 8. My goal for this weekend is to pull one crossover for reference and see how all of it is supposed to connect. It is a much easier project than the LSi9s I did, but it has been a while.

Subscribed. Let me know if you decide to part with the original boards.
  • 5do6fd0n9vmg.jpeg

xschop- I’ll let you know if I have them available. I ah e not yet opened the speakers

Set the parts out today. I found the J5 jumper and the E H jumper. I assume i wasn’t going to use polyswitch or resister because i didn’t order any so I see the S1 jumper.

I have circled my question spots. The P3 tweeter output connector does not match the board. I verified the part number. I’ll look through posts to see if anyone shows where this goes. Gimpod.com on wayback scroll over position page doesn’t work and I don’t have winzip yet to try the archive of his page

Second question is the PR holes for large inductor. He recommended the connector shown for remote mount. I did not see the male counterpart suggested to make this work. Anyone use this method?

Thanks.

• cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited January 2023
    Delete
    Post edited by cincycat13 on
  • d8meuf025kdg.jpeg
    dtygeit5vg2f.jpeg

Ok the rar files answered my questions. Now I just need to figure out how to connect to the PR connector

• Been awhile since I've been here, but saw this thread and the fact that Gimpod's site is no longer. A long time ago, I downloaded the site for my own reference on my 3.1s. I have included the site in a zip folder. You should just be able to download this, extract it and open the index.html file within the first folder and your browser should be able to handle the rest.

I know it's a little late, but hopefully you still find this useful.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • xschop
    How are the 4 stereo midwoofers wired up? The schematic does not show.