Trying to decide on L200 to replace Klipsch speaks

Options
Hi Polk experts 🙂thank you for the add. I have been having a dilemma 🙂

.. been out of the Polk loop since the mid 90s owned the RT series which were great for HT but didn’t do it for me for music. Anyways , I am heavily thinking of going with the L100 or 200 ..

Here is where I need some advice since you guys are the Polk experts 🙂 possibly the L200 so I don’t regret it if I get the smaller 100, not sure —-I currently own Klipsch RB 5s

Thinking of switching out my Dads (may he RIP , lost him in 2020 at 81 , he got me started In audio) Klipsch RB 5 pair of bookshelves in my upstairs loft system — approx 11x15..
Yamaha AS2200 , Rotel CD11 Tribute , Oppo 105D , Technics SL1200G , Parasound JC3jr , Denon 301mkii cart, Furman power. AQ cables.

Maybe just out of curiosity — but hopefully — a different sound but still sounds great on all kinds of music .. the Polk L200. About 4 ohms I think or 3.8 . anyone have any experience with it.? I did notice it’s rated about 87 db sensitivity also ,, as opposed to rated 93 db on my Klipsches. I would think with the very conservative rating on the Yamaha is 90 watts into 8 ohms —although the power transformers and caps are huge. Should be more than enough for the Polks. And the Yamaha is 4 ohm rated as well so about 190 into 4 ohms as it says in the manual. Again probably conservative.
Maybe I am looking for a bit different sound than my Klipsches. I think sometimes they just get fatiguing. But I do like their clarity but sometimes I think the horn is grating on my ears so looking to something else that can still do rock and jazz (what I mostly listen to) without being grating if that makes sense but yet still have a great sound. 🙂

Any experience(s) Genre of types of music being played with them , sound quality etc etc?

Was a bit worried that reading some peeps saying they were “warm” in some reviews. (Polk Legend 200) I know my Yamaha AS2200 is warmer side of neutral but still pretty neutral overall. Didn’t want to have too much of a good thing if you get my drift lol. But it’s a great sign if you can run these with warmer tube amps and still get great sound ! The polks definitely sound like they are a more nuetral speaker these days.

If I do maybe I just go to the larger L200 speaker .. don’t want to have regrets later — lol ! Although it’s in my upstairs loft. Nice size but not a monster living room or anything like that

I do appreciate it as I have been out of the Polk game for a very long time. (Owned RT series in the 90s , imo they were only good for Ht but not music , but always admired the older Polk stuff ). Downstairs for my HT system I use DefTech BiPolars and they are great for that and some music. But upstairs is where I enjoy my dedicated Audio system. I feel right now as much as I have liked the Klipsch in the past —they are my choke point in my upstairs system now🙂
seems like these Polks would for sure be a nice upgrade and a better match to the upstream Components I am running in addition to my ears 🙂 over my current well used Klipsch 🙂

Thanks guys
Appreciate it 🙂
Maybe I can get some insight 😉

Best Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'd also recommend the L200 for that size room and the current electronics in use. No regrets. The Legend line is leaps ahead of the old RT lines. Clarity without being overly warm or bright is their sound signature but it'll take a while for them to open up and settle in. :)

Nice system!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Answer ✓
    Options
    L200 all day, every night, next week, into the next century.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to give a little context to my perspective on this.
    I owned and used a pair of 1974 Klipsch Cornwalls for... longer than I'm happy to admit (10 years).
    Spent most of that decade trying to beat them into submission with sources, amplification, placement, damping, and other then-fashionable tricks. Pretty much resigned myself to listening to some music, and not other music, because... well... that's the way Klipsch loudspeakers. Loud, brash, harsh, and fun. Sometimes fun. Sometimes disappointing. Sometimes unbearable.

15414336868_4c36deb6de_c.jpg

Got a pair of Altec Valencias and never even listened to the Cornies again after hooking the Altecs up.

I treasure smooth, rich, but real sounding reproduction. The current Polk L and R series do a very respectable job for the $ (in 2022-3 dollars).

Klipsch still - mostly - cleaves to their house sound:
    25525521052_d1352d3736.jpg

(that's an actual Klipsch website graphic from a few years back)

FWIW, I do own a pair of R200s and I am quite pleased with them.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Of the two you want the L200. Your ears will bleed no more.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'd also recommend adding a Rel T/7X or T/9X subwoofer to round out the system eventually. Wait for a sale from Rel though. Those come along with some regularity.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    I appreciate it peeps !! Now I got some thinking to do. I do have about 440 dollars of gift cards that I can use for Amazon , originally was going to buy a streamer like a Bluesound but I think I may just put that on hold now. I should have probably thought of this sooner when the L200 was 1199.00 a few months back Ugg. Maybe they will have another sale. But the gift cards will help. :) the good news is most places give 60 day returns. But I’m not sure if Amazon may only give 30. I think I will be fine but just like to have that back up piece of mind. I know they take time to burn in or breakin for sure. I also thought of getting the R200 but I feel like I would always think “what if” on the L200 and figure that’s the best way to go !! :)