Reserve R400 and R600 with Emotiva BasX 3A - Impedance question

Options
My Emotiva arrives this Friday. I am using it to run my LCR. The Reserves show they can run 4/6/8 ohms. Do I have to wire the speakers in a special way to run at 4ohms or does Emotiva amp automatically run in 4 ohms? I looked at the Emotiva manual but it does not say. I don't recall the Polk manual mentioning it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    edited January 2023
    Options
    You just hook up each speaker's red and black connectors to the matching red and black posts for each channel on the back of the amp. One channel for one speaker.

Just whatever you do, don't cross the streams.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2023
    Options
    rgs1 wrote: »
    My Emotiva arrives this Friday. I am using it to run my LCR. The Reserves show they can run 4/6/8 ohms. Do I have to wire the speakers in a special way to run at 4ohms or does Emotiva amp automatically run in 4 ohms? I looked at the Emotiva manual but it does not say. I don't recall the Polk manual mentioning it.

Thanks in advance.

The basic answer to your question is the speakers are rated at 8 ohms nominal. Nominal being the key word as the resistance varies by frequency with the majority or average being in the 8 ohm range. The verbiage Polk used is confusing. What they are poorly trying to convey is the speakers are compatible with any power source rated to drive 4 to 8 ohm speakers.

FYI, you cannot make them, "run at 4 ohms." Nor does the, "Emotiva amp automatically run in 4 ohm." It will run in whatever demand is placed on it by the speakers, which again will vary with frequency.

Not an amp I would choose, but I hope it works out for you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rgs1
    rgs1 Posts: 2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    rgs1 wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

The basic answer to your question is the speakers are rated at 8 ohms nominal. Nominal being the key word as the resistance varies by frequency with the majority or average being in the 8 ohm range. The verbiage Polk used is confusing. What they are poorly trying to convey is the speakers are compatible with any power source rated to drive 4 to 8 ohm speakers.

FYI, you cannot make them, "run at 4 ohms." Nor does the, "Emotiva amp automatically run in 4 ohm." It will run in whatever demand is placed on it by the speakers, which again will vary with frequency.

Not an amp I would choose, but I hope it works out for you.

Thank you your response. This is the exact answer I was looking for.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Glad to be of help. If you have other questions ask away.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk