MW6501 for MW6510

RTA12C
RTA12C Posts: 7
edited January 2023 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of SDA2A. A dust cover is crushed on one of the MW6510 drivers. I have 4 spare MW6501 drivers. Can I use these in place of the MW6510's?

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Is there a problem with the 6510 other than the dust cover?
  • RTA12C
    No. Just the dust cover.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    No
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited January 2023
    The dust cover can be sucked out with a vacuum cleaner hose. Support the driver so the vacuum doesn't suck it out off the pole piece. All you do is place the hose over the dustcap and turn the vacuum on/off very quickly. DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE HOSE UNTIL ALL SUCTION STOPS
    You may need to do it more than once and it's a good idea to have two people. The wrinkles will never come out unfortunately. The mw6501 is NOT suitable as @F1nut mentioned.

MAKE SURE THE HOSE IS THE SAME SIZE AS THE DUSTCAP.

Disclaimer:
    I've done it more that once, I take no responsibility if you ruin the driver.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 244
    Razor blade to carefully remove dust cover, massage it back into shape, re-install with Aleene's Tacky Glue. Dries clear and if done properly you'll never know it was done.

Disclaimer:
    I've done it more than once, I take no responsibility if you ruin the driver.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Strap a piece of duct tape on the 6510 and give it good old fashioned tug or several gently.

Disclaimer:
    I haven't done that so I take no responsibility if you ruin the driver.

Here's an example though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvjTjTB9uU
  • RTA12C
    Fixed as best as it is going to get. 1/8" dowel, crazy glued to center of dent, pull slowly then rotate dowel to loosen. Touch up dust cap with satin vinyl paint. Happy for now.