Brass signature plate on SDA speakers

Options
Our Tucson thrift shop recently received a pair of Polk SDA speakers, with interconnect cable. The speakers are in excellent condition.
These speakers have a brass signature plate, does this make them rare? When searching bb7za4ansgn3.jpg
405b2jmcmozy.jpg
Polk speakers on the web, I find none with signature plates like these.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    Options
    The plate was added to cover up the 2 small port holes that Polk no longer wanted to use. Basically, they were using up the older cabinet version by adding the plate.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    Options
    vov9nbgxspcc.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,057
    Options
    Love learning the obscure history. Thanks Jesse!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    How much they want ?
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Why caint I ever find stuff like that at the thrift store.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,639
    edited January 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The plate was added to cover up the 2 small port holes that Polk no longer wanted to use. Basically, they were using up the older cabinet version by adding the plate.

To add to this, the ports are also plugged with dowel rods. My first SDA was this model SDA 1 Signature that I also bought from a pawn shop. I still own them and will always. This was an intermediate model between SDA 1 and SDA 1a. My pair has been recapped with Sonicaps, mills and Furtech wire.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/31009.pdf

Instructions for converting an SDA1 to SDA1A; the kit does not include the brass placque, I thought it did until I re-read the instructions just now.