Best bang for buck cassette deck

2»

Comments

• xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Received and well packaged. Will set it up tomorrow probably. Thanks!
    498pm38yi4jk.jpeg
    rm182tbz9jqr.jpeg
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Thank you! Glad it arrived safely!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    I owned a Nak Dragon back in the day. Coolest piece of gear I've owned even to this day. It made superb tape recordings.

I would really do some research into decks that still have an ample supply of basic parts to keep it running.

Naks were always pretty reliable and not terribly temperamental, the earlier ones anyway, before they sold out in the early 2000's. I believe parts are expensive and hard to find and repair shops are less and less. Rubber parts deteriorate over time and need to be replaced.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    @heiney9 good points. I figured Nak would have some support since they were such a great deck. Set her up in my basement office. Went straight to The Cars. Using an Onkyo pre and Adcom 555 amp and my Monitor 10’s I’ve owned since I was in high school.

trd6865fukvn.jpeg

Man I miss level meters!
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Commercial cassettes were pretty awful in the day, can't imagine one that's 20-30 years old. I used my deck back in the day to make my own recordings. Both sides of an LP fit on a cassette. I'd take the vinyl and record it on the first play to preserve the vinyl. I made mix tapes and I made tapes for the car.

I never even bought a single commercial cassette recording because they were all made very cheaply. But a trip down nostalgia lane listening to the Cars is hard to beat.

Rock on

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!