LPS - Linear Power Supplies....a discussion.

So, here we are....discussing something that may be that last 5% of what you hear.

It gets rid of that so called "Wal-Wart" that can still wreak havoc on the rest of the system.

I am interested in a dual pole/dual output LPS. What I am interested in is this....

Do you have personal experience with different ones? I am interested in a choke PS (not by capacitance) LPS.

What say you....what are your preferences and why one versus another?

Do tell....

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2022
    Wellp --- I think that good, clean power is more than "5%" important.
    ... and, ASR notwithstanding :# I don't like switchmode power supplies. Yes, they're electrically efficient (which is a good thing) but they generate all kinds of noise relative to a good ol' CRCRCR or CLC (etc.) linear P/S. Why make noise (RFI) to deal with that one didn't have to deal with before "going green"? :|

That said, there's no need to go all nutso about finding good clean DC. Buy a nice used lab or test bench P/S for pennies on the dollar and you'll have top-class power for wallwart prices.
    If you can find a nicely refreshed P/S... bonus. If not, refreshing one's a pretty straightforward exercise.

Fifteen bucks for this, e.g., at a ham radio fleamarket a couple of years back.
    Works great.

33943321368_709a00d16b_b.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Chokes -- yes, all else being equal, adding some inductance to the filter network is usually a very good thing.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2022
    Pricey, some detractors, but check out Uptone audio for dual output choke filtered PS.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

Not choked, but I recently assembled some Welborne 5v PS a friend had lying around for a long time. I assembled one, tested. Opened the other kit to find they packed the wrong PCB. Long out of biz, simple circuit, so I cut a diy PCB to size and did some point to point. These are very quiet linear power supplies.

ubt859i2zphq.jpg
    6asd66dh9wox.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3 is what I use. Not sure if he is still making these as the website has changed. Mine has two outputs. 12 vdc for my SS computer and 5 vdc for my switch and RPi.

https://mojodigitalmusic.com/-13.0.10.2.3-t7--7.99.33--84.52--J6Q7AkfzaxupfLikV2aAMt-/page/power-supplies

Not cheap but very good.

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Nothing ultra fancy but this is what I use for the router/modem -

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832505596203.html?gatewayAdapt=jpn2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • When I built my Hagerman Phono preamp I used a +/- 15Vdc Sola industrial linear power supply. I've used them for years in control enclosures on custom machines. The signal was clean enough for 5Vdc encoder circuits on early servo systems that were sensitive to fluctuations. I've monitored the output with an oscilloscope and it's clean. The only problem is that it needs to be packaged. They are very reasonably priced.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Interesting. What do you mean by packaged? Find a case to install it in?

Nice cloning, Rich!

Mark, what would be some brands like the one you show above?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg wrote: »
    Interesting. What do you mean by packaged? Find a case to install it in?

Nice cloning, Rich!

Mark, what would be some brands like the one you show above?

Here is an example of a Sola 12 volt DC power supply. It needs to be packaged in an enclosure. This is "new" pricing, but they can be found for a lot less.

https://www.newark.com/solahd/sls-12-017t/power-supply-linear-12v-22-5w/dp/93K6597?gclid=CjwKCAiAv9ucBhBXEiwA6N8nYNNjJ6nA-NovjX7ZECsCMYC9GlYGVFIHZZ_xY4mHflni6LiE2o6osBoC_2IQAvD_BwE&mckv=_dm|pcrid||plid||kword||match||slid||product|93K6597|pgrid||ptaid||&CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-Shopping-PMAX-Med-ROAS
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • mhardy6647
    Sola knows power.
    Power supplies? Lambda. hp, any of the big-name lab equipment brands. Heathkit made some very nice DC supplies (kits)- I don't see the nice ones very often, though.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Check out Keces audio. Pricey, but top notch circuits, parts and build.

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-c34633359

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Sorry for the duplicate effort. I've been following this thread, but am focused on the router, at the moment.
    Primarily for streaming Qobuz to etherRegen switch (Supra Cat8) to Lumin U2 Mini (AQ Vodka/RAL Prophecy on order) to Chord Qutest (AQ Carbon digital coax/RAL on order). Streamer supplied by SBooster PS; Qutest supplied by Teradak LPS. All plugged to PS Audio regenerator.
    I'm thinking that powering the router with its wall-wart might be holding me back. Would like to hear what any of you who've been through this have to say. Thanks!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    @Dr_Wu I recently put this on my router with a Pangea AC-14 PC: https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iPower-Elite-Supply-Adapter/dp/B08S5T4DNY/

I'm not sure if it did anything noticeable. Tidal and Qobuz sounded excellent before with the stock SMPS and still sound excellent now.

But, it looks cool. That's gotta count for something.
  • treitz3
    So, it appears as if we will all learn together.

So be it...

I have eyed some of the PS's mentioned already. Does anyone have any direct experience?

Tom
  • treitz3
    Recommendation from @rebelsoul via another thread...

https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/bonn-n8

Tom
  • heiney9
    All I can say is in relation to the Keces Audio link I posted. Their gear is top notch and they have always designed and built excellent power supply sections in their gear. I have 2 pieces, an integrated amp/dac and an older dac and they are superb.

I was looking to buy one of their PS, but at this point I don't need it. I have a really well built Welbourne Labs I will use for now. If/when I'm in the market, I will probably buy a Keces. They are pricey, but the quality is there as well as intelligent design.

The US distributor Power Holdings has been excellent to deal with. Arthur shipped quickly and was very responsive to questions I had.

The P6 is probably what you'd want, dual output with lots of flexibility. Believe me you'll be impressed.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited December 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Recommendation from @rebelsoul via another thread...

https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/bonn-n8

Tom

That isn't an LPS, but it sure looks like an excellent addition for a streaming set-up.

Forrester P1& P2 are the LPS's.

One NA distributor in Canada.

H9
  • I think Sbooster power supplies are pretty good. I’m not sure that they qualify in terms of the specific requirements Tom stated in his OP, but they are worth a mention anyway.
    I have three of these, one on a SMG i5 (Roon server), one on a Sonore UltraRendu and one on a Sonore UltraDigital. I think I hear improvement on the higher frequencies more than anything. With basic wall warts there’s a sheen or slight glare that’s apparent on some recordings that seems to be stripped away when using the better quality units.

I’ve used an Sbooster on a Dr. Feickert turntable in the past, and couldn’t hear any benefit.
    But for around $300 each they seem to do a fair job on anything that handles digital.
  • treitz3
    machone wrote: »
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3 is what I use. Not sure if he is still making these as the website has changed. Mine has two outputs. 12 vdc for my SS computer and 5 vdc for my switch and RPi.

https://mojodigitalmusic.com/-13.0.10.2.3-t7--7.99.33--84.52--J6Q7AkfzaxupfLikV2aAMt-/page/power-supplies

Not cheap but very good.

Where do you find the pricing/models/options? I can't seem to find them anywhere...it's not a very user friendly site for finding these things out.

Tom

• treitz3
    So far, I am liking the JS-2 and the Keces P3. It would help if I knew the pricing of the Illuminati v3. If there is one thing that drives me buckin' fonker's is when you go to look something up and have to waste your precious time looking for something as simple as a price....that ain't there.

I like the JS-2 because it utilizes a choke filter but am open to most anything at this point. FWIW, my amplifier and pre utilize choke regulation and over the years, these ears tend to always gravitate toward these types of designs. Apparently, I like the end result as to what it does...

Now, in my research, I have stumbled across this site - Pretty informative for a rookie like me when it comes to LPS's...

https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/

Reading that brought me to an interactive "map" that you can customize a LPS's performance (based upon his findings) tailored to your preferences. Keep in mind, he prioritizes a warmer/darker tone, so his personal rankings will reflect that. (link below)

https://audiobacon.net/best-audiophile-power-supplies/

On that link, you move your most important aspects up or down to get the LPS you want (based upon his observations and knowing what he is willing to sacrifice). The lower the number, the higher the ranking with regards to that particular aspect.

If you are already aware that this exists? Please accept my apologies and carry on with yo' bad self. If you didn't know about it and are learning (as I am) about LPS's? You might want to take a peek. It *may* help you in arriving at a decision.

Tom

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    treitz3 wrote: »
    machone wrote: »

Not cheap but very good.

Where do you find the pricing/models/options? I can't seem to find them anywhere...it's not a very user friendly site for finding these things out.

Tom

Tom,
    I would call and talk to Benjamin Zwickel, owner of Mojo Audio.
    949.Get.Mojo (438.6656)
    I am sure he would be happy to help with any questions.
    Bob
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    I was able to get a response from Mojo-Audio today. Here is his response...
    Due to COVID related shortages we have not had a power supply to sell for around two years.

The good news is we're going to release our new Illuminati X dual rail LPS this spring.

We use LC choke-input as our first stage filter typology: we end with a ultra-low-noise and ultra-high-dynamic custom Belleson discrete regulator.

Benjamin Zwickel
    Owner, Mojo Audio Inc

Tom
  • heiney9
    Tom

Here's a link to a review of the Keces E40 integrated amp I use in the office rig. The reviewer explains a bit about Keces design and philosophy in general. It might give you bit more insight and confidence in purchasing the P3.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/keces-e40-integrated-amplifier/

H9