SDA SRS End Cap Install

Options
For several years, I have been a frequent visitor to the Forum but this is the first time I have posted. I am just finishing up my modification on my SDA SRS's First Gen speakers with Crossovers from VR3, who is a very talented individual. Thought I read where someone said to install a gasket material on the cabinets before installing the end caps. Is this right? Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    cudaman73 wrote: »
    For several years, I have been a frequent visitor to the Forum but this is the first time I have posted. I am just finishing up my modification on my SDA SRS's First Gen speakers with Crossovers from VR3, who is a very talented individual. Thought I read where someone said to install a gasket material on the cabinets before installing the end caps. Is this right? Appreciate any feedback.

I have never heard that, can’t say it’s a bad idea, or if there is any value in doing so, but having that mass in direct contact with the cabinet seems it would yield better performance, now would that be very noticeable? That is a question maybe you can tell us if you give it a shot.. :-)

• cudaman73
    Options
    Thanks for thoughts on this. I couldn't remember if I read that or not. I haven't decided what to do yet. Hope to post pictures when I finish.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    I used a small piece of armacell on the bolts just to help seal against an air leak. I cut a small X pushed the piece over the bolt, large fender washer, lock washer and nut tighten down. I never put anything between the cap and cabinet.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You put a rubber washer or some form of gasket on the 4 studs before the metal washer, lock washer and nut are tightened down. Do not put anything between the end cap and the cabinet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cudaman73
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I did remember reading that. So I will put the end caps back on with gaskets on the studs only. Thanks again.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The rubber washer or gasket goes on the inside. Do not put anything between the end cap and the cabinet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cudaman73
    Options
    Yes, I remember you posting that a while back.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 999
    edited January 2023
    Options
    ^ What Jesse said.

These are the parts I used to seal the end caps on my gen 3 SDA SRS speakers...
    hf4m787241tp.jpg
    zb88lfaz68ji.jpg
    m897s2yoac4f.jpg

I found if you use the original washers & nuts the washer will cup. The original washer actually bends and pushes the rubber fender washer into the stud hole. Have pics explaining this.
    Took all mine out and used the above in a certain order.
    This does a great job of sealing the end caps.
    Plus, easy to remove later.

I have the sizes of all the parts if needed...

Skip

• cudaman73
    Options
    Skip, thanks for all the great information and pictures. That is almost exactly what I used. You're right my original washers were cupped really bad when I took them off. Thanks again.