Polk Lsim 705 and psw 1000. Low pass filter setup or no?

I’ve got a set of Lsim 705’s and a psw 1000 subwoofer. I’m finally setting up all my stuff in my main room and I’m seeking opinions on whether or not I should use the low pass filter with my particular setup.

My speakers are each being powered by their own 600 watt monoblocks (2x SAE a502 amps ran in monoblock setting). The psw1000 manual says to use the low pass filter setup with “bookshelf speakers” and full range setup with larger speakers. Is that correct?

My amp’s do provide PLENTY of headroom for the lsim’s, so that’s not something I need to worry about as far as reducing load on the amps, but I’m not sure if I could still benefit from separating those low frequencies.

I am also using the same sub through the lfe input with my separate home theatre amp. I built a switcher box that switches the amps being used to power the 705’s and also switches between the rca outs on my hifi setup preamp for music and lfe output for home theatre. Basically I’m using the same speakers with my hifi audio system, and for my home theatre receiver.

Reason I mention that, is that having to route rca’s to my subwoofer first to get the low pass to my amps would be a lot more complicated with the switching setup I have.

So, all that’s to say I’d love to not have to use the low pass filter for audio if it won’t really make much difference. But if it really would make a big difference I’m willing to run all of the extra cable it would take. I would assume separating those frequencies would be beneficial and maybe increase imaging and soundstage on the lsim’s.

Curious for some opinions on this.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    I’m seeking opinions on whether or not I should use the low pass filter with my particular setup.

No need to use the low pass.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited December 2022
    My comment was on the incorrect sub. My bad.

Carry on...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~