Center channel speaker upgrade

Options
I have 2 x RTi A5 and the CSi A4 for the center
I would like to upgrade the center. I know I should ideally go with the CSiA6, but I can't find it (new or used)
What would be a good upgrade, but still matching my RTiA5?
Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Yes CSiA6 was part of the same series.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    CSi5 would also be fine. What AVR do you have? Might be able to go back to a cs400i or up to a reserve or legend series if you have a good auto eq setup.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • French_guy
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    CSi5 would also be fine. What AVR do you have? Might be able to go back to a cs400i or up to a reserve or legend series if you have a good auto eq setup.

It's the Yamaha TSR-700
    No surround...yet
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I would stay in the hunt for a CSiA6, is a really good center channel. While waiting, have you manually adjusted the CSiA4 in settings?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    The TSR-700 is not going to drive a 4Ω speaker like the Legend L400. Maybe the Reserve R400 would match well enough, but, IMHO:

1️⃣ I’m not sure you’ll find the improvement you’re looking for, and,

2️⃣ If it were me, I’d save an eBay search, or scour local listings on Craigslist, and try to find a CSi A6 instead.

What exactly are you not happy about? Have you tried boosting the output to the center channel manually on the Yamaha? Have you tried checking the settings using a sound level meter?
    Alea jacta est!
  • French_guy
    Options
    I feel what's coming from the center channel (dialogues) is usually weak. So I need to raise the main volume, but when action scenes come, it's way too loud.
    I ran YPAO, but it still doesn't "sound right". I did try to boost the center channel, but I had to put +10 dB to have the feeling that dialogues were OK
    So I thought (maybe I'm wrong though) that a better center speaker (CSi5 or CSiA6) would sound much better......
    How should I use a sound level meter (I guess I can buy one on Amazon)?
    No surround...yet
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Is the tweeter on the center channel pointed at head height, more or less, in the listening area?

From what you describe, I’m really not convinced a bigger speaker will cure the issue you’re experiencing. It’s not caused because the speaker you have is too small. Something else is amiss IMHO. 🤔

Basically, a sound meter allows you to measure the output of each channel, if the Yamaha software allows you to output the tones to do so. In this way, you can manually calibrate the sound levels of each channel yourself, instead of relying on YPAO. This would include checking the distances from the speakers to the center of the listening space. Remember that you need total silence for YPAO or manual calibration. Turn off all heating and cooling so that they don’t turn on during the test.

Will the Yamaha show you the levels that have been set after running YPAO, including the levels and distances? Do they seem correct to you (the distances in particular)?

Are you sure the extreme loudness during action scenes isn’t coming from the subwoofer being set too “hot”? That can be a common failure with calibration programs like YPAO. Maybe you could try lowering the level on that channel, as well as raising the center in the way that you’ve tried in the past. It doesn’t make sense to me that the center channel would be ruining action scenes in movies.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    YPAO shows the levels and distances. You can also do test tones. He needs to check these.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.