$5,700 Planar Yamaha Headphones

Options
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    Worth every penny...
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Worth every penny...

They better be for that price. WoWzA! :o
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    That's a hundred times more than I'm willing to pay for them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,326
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Worth every penny...

You have heard them?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I'll hold out for the SE version: you know, with upgraded parts -- and cost.

I don't like using headphones for music, so I am not the target audience.
    Earlier this year, I did hear a pair of $300 EDIT $350 headphones from Ukraine that sounded extremely good. They're the product of a sole proprietor & I think (?) he sells on Amazon or eBAY or some such. Zero cachet, but excellent sound.

EDIT: found 'em: https://www.verum-audio.com/store
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    Options
    Look like a quality product for 350

Not a headphone fan either myself
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    edited September 2023
    Options
    $5,700 for headphones is absolutely ridiculous honestly. Wonder how they stack up to the Sennheiser HD 800 S

I'd probably still buy them if I could afford them though. I'm a sucker for good headphones.

I will say I personally believe that you have to spend twice as much as you would on speakers, to get headphones of comparable sound quality. Just something I've personally found to be the case.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    Options
    I'm not a headphone guy but at 5700 I would say there is substantial competition.

Focal pure berylium headphone drivers are undoubtedly insane
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm not a headphone guy but at 5700 I would say there is substantial competition.

Focal pure berylium headphone drivers are undoubtedly insane

Oh for sure, headphones are a massive market. You'd be surprised how many audiophiles swear by them.

One guy in a Discord server had an acoustically treated room and really the whole shebang, but he used headphones in it instead of a pair of speakers. Mind boggling, personally, but it really depends on what sound you prefer.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    An acoustically treated room for, headphones? He must have had a very hard head!
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    An acoustically treated room for, headphones? He must have had a very hard head!

Yeah it was ridiculous. He believed the minor sound that bled from his Sennheiser HD 800 S would reflect off the walls and reach his ear again. Insane.