Nee some help from any bookworms out there

Options
So I just learned by son-in-law is a bit of a book reader. That in itself was a surprise to me, but the bigger surprise is he prefers non-fiction although a good fiction book is OK by him.

The part that does not surprise me is he's interested the the old Wild West(he's a horse trainer and wanna be cowboy). Looking for reading suggestions for him. He's not a Kindle person.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options
    I'm not sure what he's looking for specifically from the "old west", but here are a few of my favorites from off-the-beaten-path topics:

The Saga Of The Pony Express by Joseph J. Di Certo - The best book on the Pony Express I've come across.

The Iron Rail To The Golden Spike by John J Stewart - About the building of the Transcontinental railroad.

Men to Match My Mountains: The Monumental Saga of the Winning of America's Far West by Irving Stone - A fantastic look at the courage and hardship of forging the West.

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose - One of the most complete (and honest) tellings of the Lewis & Clark expedition.

War Of The Copper Kings: Greed, Power and Politics by C.B. Glasscock - great book about the emerging copper industry in the late 1800's, centered around Butte Montana, and what was at the time called "The Richest Hill On Earth".
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    One place to start is with books that were turned into excellent movies or TV series. Examples:

The Searchers
    Shane
    Lonesome Dove
    The Revenant
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
    The Shootist
    True Grit

One things for sure, this is a huge genre!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    There are also many excellent choices for non-fiction books but they tend to deliberately be written to bust the old west mythology that's portrayed in fiction. This was a good read...

https://www.amazon.com/Tombstone-Earp-Brothers-Holliday-Vendetta/dp/1250214580/ref=sr_1_12?crid=13YEC28T3G54K&keywords=gunfight+ok+corral+book&qid=1669142155&sprefix=gunfight+ok+corral+book,aps,73&sr=8-12#customerReviews
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    Options
    Killing Crazy Horse by Bill O’Reilly was excellent.

The Searchers listed above is based loosely on the fascinating story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Her story is included in Killing Crazy Horse. The small West Texas town of Quanah is named after her son, Quanah Parker.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden