Does speaker finish/looks matter?

2»

Comments

• tratliff wrote: »
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Heck of a nice sounding speaker but they kept breaking a wire, voice coil to cone, going to the mid drivers.
    Had to keep extra driver's on hand it happened so often.

Not sure I would have gotten "Approval" for the white ones. I have had a pair of Focus S/E's for a couple of years. They don't have the yellow mid and I have not had any issues with any of the drivers.

I would say the finish is important but not the most important quality of a speaker.

You should have seen them with the white grill cloth, geezo it was bad :D
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Were they the yellow kevlar legacy drivers?

Yes.
    Original version Focus.

Talking to Bill when I was at the Springfield office (a long time ago) he had mentioned they quit using those because of problems. The company he bought from did a total new design, so this all makes sense now.
    Bill is one to show you everything he is working on, a very generous guy. He practically wouldn't let a friend and I leave that day LOL. We seen EVERYTHING on site top to bottom. He knew we couldn't afford his gear and that never bothered him in the least.
    Somehow we received invites to attend his "open house" in the mail. It was very impressive to see a 5.1 HT set up with both the Whisper and Brooklyn series speakers. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I visited him in Springfield also, when Classic HD and Studio HD were relatively new.

I listened to both, and observed there was notable cut-off in the low-bass on the Classic HD (listening to Anytime by Brian McKnight, which reaches very low in the bass).

A worker had Bill visit me and he said he designed the Classic HD to do that and said of all he sells, his dacored speaker system would be Classic HD with two of his subs (can’t remember which model).

He also suggested an Oppo BDP-105 to get off the digital source merry-go-round. This was many years ago.

Bill is very down-to-earth. Really cool guy.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yes.
    Original version Focus.

Talking to Bill when I was at the Springfield office (a long time ago) he had mentioned they quit using those because of problems. The company he bought from did a total new design, so this all makes sense now.
    Bill is one to show you everything he is working on, a very generous guy. He practically wouldn't let a friend and I leave that day LOL. We seen EVERYTHING on site top to bottom. He knew we couldn't afford his gear and that never bothered him in the least.
    Somehow we received invites to attend his "open house" in the mail. It was very impressive to see a 5.1 HT set up with both the Whisper and Brooklyn series speakers. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I just thought it was me pushing them past their limits with the simaudio w-10’s.
    700w plus per will do that, but it was oh so good 😬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

Yes.
    Original version Focus.

I just thought it was me pushing them past their limits with the simaudio w-10’s.
    700w plus per will do that, but it was oh so good 😬

You probably did them no favors if you were trying to get all 700 horses stampeding in your room.