Can't Buy A Thrill 50TH Anniversary LP

Options
Keiko
Keiko Posts: 764
edited November 2022 in Music & Movies
Anyone get this yet? I'm hearing good things about it. Remastered by the great, Bernie Grundman and the vinyl, they're saying is quiet.

https://shop.rockhall.com/products/steely-dan-cant-buy-a-thrill-50th-anniversary-edition-vinyl-lp

Also on 200g UHQR 45RPM. - This one's a little too rich for me and from what I understand, the 180g remaster is the same cut as this version. Nice to have choices. ;)

https://elusivedisc.com/steely-dan-cant-buy-a-thrill-numbered-limited-edition-uhqr-200g-45rpm-2lp-box-set/

And it's also available for pre-order on SACD. @F1nut ;)

https://elusivedisc.com/steely-dan-cant-buy-a-thrill-hybrid-stereo-sacd/

Comments

• jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    I've had the regular version for a week. It's fantastic. I've spun it 3 times. And yes, very quiet. Considered the UHQR but 45rpm lps are such a pia when you're 70 yo
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• Keiko
    Options
    Why are the 45s more difficult?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »

He's got to get up twice as much to listen to the entire album😉
  • Keiko
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I think I understand. Not as much space. I don't own any of these type albums, only singles which I rarely play, if at all. I've heard that the 45s sound a bit better, but a well mastered 33 works just as good.

The problem I have now is with storage. I've amassed a sizeable collection of records that are worth a small fortune. I have some pressings and a few box sets that are worth a little bit of money just on their own and why Janey tolerates me collecting records. I think she's secretly plotting against me tho. . . ;) jk.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    It's a great album.

... and I have no further comment about storage requirements for rekkids. :#
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options

I think I understand. Not as much space.
    I believe what they're referring to is that the album(s) have to be flipped more often since it is a double-album instead of a single. A 12" 45RPM side only contains about 10 minutes of music, so a normal-length LP becomes a double-album when cut at 45RPM.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    which begs the question does 45RPM really sound better...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I have a few 45 LPs but don't have a 33 1/3 to compare them to. I will say, the few 45s that I do have sound great.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It's a great album.

... and I have no further comment about storage requirements for rekkids. :#

I approve this message
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I picked up the UHQR and have the other SD UHQRs on preorder. It really does sound good. But it is the only Can't Buy a Thrill I have.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the full sized 45's, got Zappas Lumpy Gravy on 45 on Record store day. I just stand by the turntable listening and waiting to change sides, sounds great but to tedious to listen to for me. Cant Buy A Thrill, good Stuff As is anything by Steely Dan.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Keiko
    Options
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it already. You can save a couple bucks on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Buy-Thrill-Steely-Dan/dp/B0BDGM9PBK

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    please report out if you will!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Anyone get this yet?
    And it's also available for pre-order on SACD. @F1nut ;)

https://elusivedisc.com/steely-dan-cant-buy-a-thrill-hybrid-stereo-sacd/

Dang it Mike, I'm not a Steely Dan fan by any means. They've always had maybe one song on an album I liked, not enough to buy the album, this one however I've been listening to on bootube. Looks like I'm going to get the SACD just because it actually sounds like it could be a good thing to have with great acoustics.

Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Steely Dan was actually a band for that first album. And, like most first albums, Mssrs. Becker & Fagen had their whole body of work up to that point (a notebook of songs which they called The Dyno :) ) to choose from to assemble it. It's also rock and roll, and not the lite jazz* that their music morphed into as the boys segued into a steely ;) kind of musical and audio perfectionism.

Try some of the 'deep cuts' -- like Midnight Cruiser, Dirty Work, Brooklyn, or Change of the Guard -- I mean, you know, if you haven't heard 'em 200 times already and turned your nose up. :#

It's a great rekkid. Really great. IMO of course. YMMV and all that. ;)

Options

Dang it Mike, I'm not a Steely Dan fan by any means....

You aren't alone. Several years ago, I played my USM Japanese 200gram pressing of Gaucho for someone unfamiliar with them. They liked it and went out and bought the entire Steely Dan catalog, only to find they didn't care much for the previous releases. I'll stay on record as a fan. :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it already. You can save a couple bucks on amazon.

Thanks for the link! I'm drinking, so I ordered it blind. If it sucks, I'm blaming you! 😀
  • Keiko
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »

Thanks for the link! I'm drinking, so I ordered it blind. If it sucks, I'm blaming you! 😀

And if it's good? ;)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

And if it's good? ;)

3s6p76ck3b6t.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DaveHo
    Options

And if it's good? ;)

You're the best positive influence in my life this week!
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Listening now. 👍👍 Very quiet pressing.