Personal weight loss story - what worked for me

Options
Hello Amigos,

Just to shed some light, I’m sure I’m not the only one who has tried to lose weight. I was never a big guy, I was 125 end of high school and became 155 freshman year college. Gained weight lifting weights etc.

I have always weight lifted ever since I went to college and kept it up. Weight was never a problem, I never really had to worry about the scale. End of college I was 160, pretty built up. Then med school I would hit close to 170 bulking up. Then residency I got married and would start a cardio program running 10 miles a week, went down to 157 and married at that weight.

Then I became an attending in 2012 and began to have trouble lifting weights on a regular basis and would start to slowly gain weight. Time became scarce. Then Emma was born, and time really started to escape me. Then Henry. Then Eleanor.

Before you knew it, I started to slowly creep up. 180. Then 186. Then 190.

I would start to cut things out of my diet, tried eating salads then tried cutting coke. Then started to eat only half a dessert. Down to 183. Only to go back up to 190 again.

My doctor told me, if you don’t lose weight soon, I’ll be put on blood pressure meds.

What a sobering thought.

I bought a treadmill. Still couldn’t lose weight. Started thinking of peloton. Thought about Tonal.

Pretty soon I started to resign myself. Maybe this is the dad bod. Maybe it was near impossible to lose weight. I started thinking… well, Atleast I’m not obese or morbidly large. There’s always that. It’s called justifying to make myself feel better.

Then one day I ran into this program. Optavia. My friend did it and lost weight. I looked into it and tried to dissect it… what was it about? Was it just a money making ploy or a legit weight loss plan?

So I tried it. I told myself I would subscribe to it for 90 days. I even gave myself freedom to eat whatever I wanted over Christmas (ballooned to 202) so I signed up prior to Thanksgiving 2021 only to start on January 15, 2022.

Well, 3 months came and went.

I lost 40 pounds.

Went off the diet plan, modified my lifestyle and while I eat nearly the same at certain points of the day (mainly dinner), I have maintained my weight 6 months later.

Everyone tells you - why lose the weight? You’ll just gain it back at the end anyway. Well, obviously if you change nothing then you will gain it all back. It’s a question of equilibrium. Doesn’t matter if you lose weight, if you go back to what made you big in the first place, then it’s only a matter of time till you gain it all back.

So here are my weighing scale pics.

If anyone has more questions, I can answer any and all.

Good luck to all those who are on a journey to get healthier. 2gbh1ber4cws.jpeg
cwaww8mvdsjy.jpeg

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    Main reason I wanted to lose weight was not only to be healthier but also to prove to myself that it could be done and be an example to my family that you can do it if you try.

I also didn’t want to be hypocritical to patients by not being to practice what I preached.

Lastly, I wanted to see if what people said was true - that you’d gain it all back once you left the diet.

I found out - weight loss and keeping healthy is 98% diet, 2% exertion.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Grazing always works for me. Little bites here and there with only one moderate meal for dinner. Also if you have access to stairs. Always take the stairs.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I found out - weight loss and keeping healthy is 98% diet, 2% exertion.

I find this to be true. I gain weight when I exercise because I eat more. For me simply reducing "added sugar" intake in all food and drink yields excellent results. Cut out all artificial sweeteners too. Cut out soda entirely whether the sugar or artificial sweetener versions. Eat all the fruit and vegetables one wants and try to stick to chicken and fish.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    I have been intermittent fasting for 18 months now. Still eat not as nutritious as I should. Went from 229 pounds at 5’10” to 198 pounds. I cut out caffeine and sleep better. And cut out alcohol too. I eat only between 11 am and 7 pm. Drinking only water the rest of the time. I think I can lose more if I eat more healthily . I am also on Prednisone for an autoimmune disease I am dealing with. Once I get off that steroid, I think I will drop more weight.
    Good luck to everyone who is trying to make improvements in their life!
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Optavia is how I lost 100 lbs. The price went up on it and I am not on it anymore but, I have basically followed their "rules" with an occasional cheat day.

Optavia really opened up my eyes to how much sugar is in little things like catsup. Or how many carbs are in things with no real nutritional value like riceor pasta. I try not to deny my cravings, just modify the way I eat the cravings.ike Outer Aisle everything bagel cauliflower thins for pizza, my own sauce, fat free or low fat cheese and turkey or chicken sausage.

The other thing I enjoy quite a bit is spaghetti squash. I didn't realize how much Iiked it until this program. Even something simple like spaghetti squash with shrimp, seasoning and some olive oil is fantastic. Also Costco has cauliflower rice frozen cheap. It comes in a 5 lb bag but, inside that bag is 1 lb bags so you don't have to make it all at once. 20 calories a cup and takes on the flavor of anything you put with it.

So the Optavia program is a bit expensive but, it taught me how to eat for a person in their mid 50's. It did show me different ways to make the cravings I want and not deny myself. I do bounce up and down around 5-7 lbs since being off of it but considering that 100 is still gone, I don't feel 5-7 up and down is that bad for maintenance.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Also, if you have access to socks, ALWAYS WEAR THE SOCKS.

Socks adds 10 lbs on camera. Everyone knows this.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I went from a 196 to a current 158 in 2 years with just sensible eating habits and playing my drums more than I ever did in my life ! I call it the just makes sense plan !

To Joey, congratulations and stay with what’s working!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Nothing I do matters. When I was in the Army we worked out all the time and I ate multiple times a day. Now I eat once a day. Same weight.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I found out that sugars were the issue.

I just watch my carb intake but it doesn’t mean this guy can’t have his ice cream sandwiches, peach cobbler pie with ice cream, and chocolate cakes.

I just make sure I’m maintaining a calorie deficit and that’s how I keep the weight stable.

• Joey_V
    edited November 2022
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Optavia is how I lost 100 lbs. The price went up on it and I am not on it anymore but, I have basically followed their "rules" with an occasional cheat day.

Optavia really opened up my eyes to how much sugar is in little things like catsup. Or how many carbs are in things with no real nutritional value like riceor pasta. I try not to deny my cravings, just modify the way I eat the cravings.ike Outer Aisle everything bagel cauliflower thins for pizza, my own sauce, fat free or low fat cheese and turkey or chicken sausage.

The other thing I enjoy quite a bit is spaghetti squash. I didn't realize how much Iiked it until this program. Even something simple like spaghetti squash with shrimp, seasoning and some olive oil is fantastic. Also Costco has cauliflower rice frozen cheap. It comes in a 5 lb bag but, inside that bag is 1 lb bags so you don't have to make it all at once. 20 calories a cup and takes on the flavor of anything you put with it.

So the Optavia program is a bit expensive but, it taught me how to eat for a person in their mid 50's. It did show me different ways to make the cravings I want and not deny myself. I do bounce up and down around 5-7 lbs since being off of it but considering that 100 is still gone, I don't feel 5-7 up and down is that bad for maintenance.

For sure I didn’t want to be on it forever. I just figured out what it was that was bad with my diet and optavia taught me how to succeed.

If I think about, I spent $450/mo x 4 total orders. $1800 was nothing for the 40lb I lost.

But yeah, optavia is definitely the real deal. I eat a full dinner each night. Right now I’m gonna have fried chicken, spaghetti, and a slice of cake.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Reading earniejade post made me hungry
    Randy/Maine
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    My end table in my TV room. I guess this is how I keep my figure.

e5zqt5sedet9.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    My end table in my TV room. I guess this is how I keep my figure.

e5zqt5sedet9.jpg

Dibs on your audio gear.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Btw @erniejade
    Congrats on losing 100lbs… that’s not easy. Took some real dedication man. I only did it for 3 months. I was pretty ready to get back to a modified new normal after those 3 months.
  • vader540is
    Options

I just watch my carb intake but it doesn’t mean this guy can’t have his ice cream sandwiches, peach cobbler pie with ice cream, and chocolate cakes.

I just make sure I’m maintaining a calorie deficit and that’s how I keep the weight stable.

This works for me.

Exercise Also helps.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Intermittent fasting - 8 on, 16 off (water only) eating healthy & staying busy for about 11 months.

Along the way I gradually transitioned to smaller more frequent meals. When I hit my goal, 40 pounds lighter, I quickly transitioned to 12 on, 12 off, eating breakfast w/everyone else. I also added a 4th meal, but maintained NO eating after supper. W/out trying over 6 months I dropped another 20 lbs.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Joey_V
    Options
    vader540is wrote: »

This works for me.

Exercise Also helps.

I try to keep busy too
    Always good to do cardio
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Where's Sal when we are talking dieting? >:)
    Carl

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Where's Sal when we are talking dieting? >:)

Riding his slider, then going light in his EV
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    My wife lost about 70 lbs on Optavia last year, I started in June and lost close to 60 over 7 months.
    Now I've admittedly put some back in the last few months (long story, no excuse though) so I'm going to
    order two more cases and told my wife that would be my Christmas gift. Yes it works.

@Joey_V who was your coach? I found it helps a lot if your coach is nice looking :D
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Joey_V
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »

@Joey_V who was your coach? I found it helps a lot if your coach is nice looking :D
    Lol
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Is a coach needed for Optavia or just order a meal package? How long does a meal package (119 servings) last? I need to lose quite a lot of weight so maybe this is the way.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Looks to me like the Optavia program is a "starvation" diet that relies on programmed food in boxes to limit intake to about a thousand calories a day. That's why people would be losing weight on it as long as they stick to it. No other reason than that. I wouldn't recommend it without medical supervision, if at all. Doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle in the long term once someone's weight is in a healthy range but they probably know that people can't stick with it in the long run anyway.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Looks to me like the Optavia program is a "starvation" diet that relies on programmed food in boxes to limit intake to about a thousand calories a day. That's why people would be losing weight on it as long as they stick to it. No other reason than that. I wouldn't recommend it without medical supervision, if at all. Doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle in the long term once someone's weight is in a healthy range but they probably know that people can't stick with it in the long run anyway.

Agreed. There are many diets out there with foods you buy from them. Which makes your weight loss a subscription service like Netflix. These types of diets usually fail eventually once you go back to eating normal food and the weight comes back on again.

Probably better to educate ones self on the importance of good nutrition and where to find it. Make a few lifestyle changes in baby steps. You might find you don't have to give up any of your favorite foods and still lose weight. Some key things is portion control, and just walking. Small changes like stop snacking on junk foods inbetween meals or late at night. Up your protein intake. Eat more quality foods instead of processed foods. Unfortunately that eliminates 80% of your local grocery store. Have a slice of pizza, not half the pie. Have some ice cream, not a quart loaded with Hershey syrup. Read labels, learn what it all means. Fermented foods/vitamins are great for you. Fat soluble vitamins, not synthetic ones. Stop with the juicing of fruits, or fruit smoothies, your just spiking your blood sugar and your going to gain weight. Just eating some fruit is way better.

Lifestyle changes last....a lifetime, once they become habitual. Diets will fail you long term. I don't mean to break bad on anyone who has lost weight on these subscription types of diets. I want people to learn from them though and take away some key information as to the reasons why they work short term, and hopefully you pick up some good healthy habits from them. Lets face it, once you start seeing results, it's easier to get motivated to do more. Good luck to keeping the weight off, and inflamation away.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Nice advice, Tony.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Optavia is calorie deficit with a limitation of carbs to less than 90gm per day.

Say what you will about it, but until you try it and realize it’s an easy diet to follow and lose weight, then all you’re all theory without practice.

I don’t think it’s a great long term program after analyzing it, but it sure taught me how to eat thereafter. Back to normal foods and I haven’t gained any weight back because I know what to watch out for now after the program.

It’s easy to say don’t eat the calories and you’ll lose weight, but much harder to follow if you’re miserable each and every day - and optavia didn’t make me miserable those 3 or so months.

A diet plan should be easy enough to follow and not make you feel like sticking a fork in your eye for the duration of it.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Did you use a coach or can you fly solo?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Did you use a coach or can you fly solo?

You need a coach

But after a few weeks I went solo