MOFI inconsistencies - SACD.

Options
daddyjt
daddyjt Posts: 2,326
edited November 2022 in Music & Movies
Has anyone else noticed the significant inconsistency in sound quality across the MOFI SACD catalog? This has been a passing annoyance for me for some time now, but it came into sharp focus this past week.

Let me first say that I bear absolutely no ill-will to any person or merchant that I have purchased a MOFI SACD from, regardless of sound quality. First off, the discs are what the discs are - the seller has no control over the sound quality. Second, the magic that issues from my system with the great gems that I do find makes me less annoyed/upset with the chaff that I find myself sifting through.

So on to a couple recent examples: I acquired a lot of three (3) Billy Joel SACDs recently - Glass Houses, An Innocent Man, and The Stranger. First, the spectacular - An Innocent Man. This disc is that pure magic I mentioned above. The clarity, depth of soundstage (and width, but depth is harder to pull off, and much rarer IMHO) and dynamics are just awesome. The finger snaps and vocal layering on For the Longest time, coupled with the depth of the soundstage, to the horns and cymbals in Tell Her About It - This disc is an absolute find. Next, the ok - The Stranger. This is is just that - ok. It's better than the redbook cd by a noticeable margin, but no magic. There is a bit of width to the sound stage, but no real depth, and the clarity and imaging are good, but far from great. And lastly, the why the heII did they make this an SACD - Glass Houses. This disc has virtually no soundstage, with all the sound living between the speakers, no bass, no clarity in the cymbals or vocals. In fact, the 2014 remastered redbook cd sounds significantly better. Now again, An Innocent man is SO GOOD that I have no buyer's remorse for the purchase of this lot - As I said, the only way to find the magical recordings is to sift though the chaff.

Another recent purchase, America (self titled debut) MOFI SACD - This disc contains one of my top 3 reference tracks now, Sandman. This track has it all - unbelievably wide and deep soundstage, crystal clarity, solid distortion free bass and beautiful harmonics. The track opens with one of the trio singing to acoustic guitar and it sounds great. Then the other two singers join in, and the soundstage just explodes out from the speakers, along with some almost psychedelic guitar sounds from stage left. Then the bass comes in, and its a thing of beauty - deep and adorative, but not a hint of boom or bloat. Then there's Alan Parson's I, Robot - I had high hopes for this one, but alas, no. Just no magic - flat sounding, and marginally (if at all) better than redbook.

So what gives? Does anyone else see a WIDE disparity with regards to sound quality of MOFI SACD releases? I would think(?) that MOFI would not take on a project unless they felt that they could offer significant improvement over what already existed for the chosen album. However, it seems that maybe they are just picking popular titles that they know will sell well. I have high hopes for my pre-ordered Van Halen, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

chc45imic5wf.jpg

uw0bpvixp4hq.jpg

kviqcndanz47.jpg

cv3q6hnuw9dq.jpg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I've been looking at some Billy Joel sacd thanks for the insight.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Honestly, I have stopped buying from Mo-Fi. Both the LP's and CD's/SACD's, unless it is verified from a trusted ear that the sonics are good. It used to be they improved things (sometimes greatly), now, not so much. The absolute worst Mo-Fi I have bought was a Grateful Dead CD or SACD that I listened to about 30 or 40 seconds of and it went into the stash, never to be touched again.

Why bother if you are going to get the end result of a stock speaker 1978 Ford Pinto 8-track type of sound? Waste of my time and money...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Small thread jack here.
    I'm really interested in this SACD.
    Anybody heard anything?
    It's cheap enough for me to find out, I may pull the trigger Monday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125593071767
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Owning a German pressing of An Innocent Man left me no desire to seek that one out on SACD, one of the best sounding LP's in my collection to this day, couldn't imagine it sounding any better perhaps I should purchase the SACD just to see if there is much improvement if any.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @daddyjt - Thanks for the insightful post. Listened to Sandman on Youtube and can understand why that’s a reference track for you.

It’s strange that Alan Parsons turned out bad, since they usually sound pretty darn good even on redbook, but who knows what decisions are made during remaster to ruin it?🤷🏼

Wonder if they can introduce some magic on Van Halen, which I like purely for the music but not necessarily for audiophile quality.

Keep us posted.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Bring on the Van Halen! I'd love to have all the Van Hagar as well. There's some gems in all of them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Small thread jack here.
    I'm really interested in this SACD.
    Anybody heard anything?
    It's cheap enough for me to find out, I may pull the trigger Monday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125593071767

I have heard nothing about it, but I would welcome your thoughts when you grab it:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    Options
    It would be nice if they had some serious competition like DCC....would make them do better. Me thinks they are running off of the name and running it into the ground while they do it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Wonder if they can introduce some magic on Van Halen, which I like purely for the music but not necessarily for audiophile quality.

I think therein lies the problem. MoFi and others can't introduce something new that didn't exist in the original recording on media that have deteriorated with decades of time. They've been doing this remastering thing now for 40 or more years and the sources haven't been getting better. They tend to do the best they can with what they have to work with. I think the only way to introduce some magic is through remixing, as with Pink Floyd's Animals, but then it's not truly faithful to the source recording. Remixing can make a recording sound "better" from an audiophile perspective but totally wreck the listening experience because it's not something someone's who's listened to that track identifies as the original. Jimmy Page made some big improvements on the high resolution Led Zeppelin remasters but to my ears most of the initial CD releases were just awful.

Some original recordings just suck and always will. A lot of remastering for CD also isn't good because of compression because to many louder sounds better. At least MoFi doesn't take that road.

• treitz3
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Some original recordings just suck and always will.

Adele comes to mind. I'd love to hear her albums done up the right way.

Tom

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Some original recordings just suck and always will.

Adele comes to mind. I'd love to hear her albums done up the right way.

Tom

I think the problem in Adele’s case isn’t the recording; though still not audiophile quality, imo.

Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Some great songwriting though.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Sorry to chime in late on this. I am just seeing it. As a person who owned the LP of The Stranger and Glass Houses when they came out, I can say the sacd on Mofi was better. They can only do so much to the sound from the original masters. Glass Houses in LP was flat sounding. The Sacd is better then the LP but, again good music but falls flat on the mastering.

I will give another example, Chicago 2 album just called Chicago. Amazing music. I had it on 8-track, bought it again on LP, then mofi sacd. While the Mofi sacd sounded better, the mastering on the original was not that great so there is only so much they can do when the original mastering is only so-so or not that good. Same with Meatloaf Bat out of Hell. Great music but the mastering wasn't that good. Thats another one I had on 8-track, LP and then sacd. Sacd sounded better then the others but still not amazing.

With Billy, innocent man mastering was outstanding from having the original lp in the 80s and the sacd version brought it to another level.

America, I had on 8-track , lp and sacd. Back in the day I had an Akai 8-track player and that album actually sounded darn good on it. Lp again brought jt to another level and what Audio fidelity did on that disk was even better. Still one of my favorite.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I'm awaiting some AP SACDs to drop. (Jethro Tull 'Stand Up,' etc)
    Not so much MOFI but at least I know where I stand with them...
    I like others taking the plunge first these days. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Sorry to chime in late on this. I am just seeing it. As a person who owned the LP of The Stranger and Glass Houses when they came out, I can say the sacd on Mofi was better. They can only do so much to the sound from the original masters. Glass Houses in LP was flat sounding. The Sacd is better then the LP but, again good music but falls flat on the mastering.

I will give another example, Chicago 2 album just called Chicago. Amazing music. I had it on 8-track, bought it again on LP, then mofi sacd. While the Mofi sacd sounded better, the mastering on the original was not that great so there is only so much they can do when the original mastering is only so-so or not that good. Same with Meatloaf Bat out of Hell. Great music but the mastering wasn't that good. Thats another one I had on 8-track, LP and then sacd. Sacd sounded better then the others but still not amazing.

With Billy, innocent man mastering was outstanding from having the original lp in the 80s and the sacd version brought it to another level.

America, I had on 8-track , lp and sacd. Back in the day I had an Akai 8-track player and that album actually sounded darn good on it. Lp again brought jt to another level and what Audio fidelity did on that disk was even better. Still one of my favorite.

^ I agree with this.
    There are quite a few that are hit & miss.

The only ones, all of their redoes, I haven't been disappointed in were Classic Records LP's. The Led Zeppelin vinyl collection are fantastic.
    DCC was awesome too, whether it was their LP or the gold CD version. The DCC Roy Orbison LP is nutty good.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Seems they are more interested in making a name for themselves in the fickle world of audio gear than they are about the legacy of what made them essential to audio in the first place.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options