Looking for an advice on amplifier for SDA 2B.

Options
alexanikin
alexanikin Posts: 105
edited November 2022 in Vintage Speakers
Guys, could you give me some advice, please, on which power amplifier to pick for my SDA 2b?

Currently, I use Denon PMA-880R. It's great, but not enough at all. I have experience with different integrates and almost got Denon PMA-2000R this week, but it fell through.

I spent quite some time during the last couple of years reading this forum, so I have some names in my mind, like Rotel RB-1070, 1080, or Adcom GFA-555. But honestly, I have no experience with pure power amps and can't actually evaluate them. That's why this post.

Budget: $1000 total (incl tax, shipping, and soda)

For the amp, I would want to go for solid-state Class A or probably A/B. Not tubes, not integrated. Just a pure high-current power amp. Don't know how much power is enough for 2b's.

My stack:
Speakers: Polk Audio 2B + RD0194 + new x-overs (on the way)
Source #1: streamer Wiim Mini Airplay 2 -> AudioQuest Forest Toslink -> DAC
Source #2: Mac Mini -> AudioQuest Jitterbug -> noname aliexpress USB cable -> DAC
DAC: Schiit Modi 3E -> AudioQuest EverGreen RCA -> PreAmp
PreAmp: Schiit Saga+ (tube version) -> AudioQuest EverGreen RCA -> Amp
Amp: Denon PMA-880R (pure direct mode) – to change
Power: AudioQuest PowerQuest 2

Handmade cables. Happy to share details of the process of making it if it is interesting.
1) Interconnect cable
One wire (14 AWG OFC) going inside PTFE tube (1mm thick) and Techflex Flexo Noise Reduction braided sleeving
2) Speaker cables
9awg, braided 24 strands (wire is an aliexpress copy of Kimber Kable ), PTFE tube introduced inside to separate strands, PTFE tape as outside coating and Techflex Flexo Noise Reduction braided sleeving
3) The amp power cable
14 AWG. I made it for the previous setup (Monitor 7 and RTA 12 + Peachtree audio iDecco) along with other speaker cables based on a braided 16-strand wire.

Appreciate your input and thoughts.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I read somewhere once that you always need at least 200wpc.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    If considering used, I find a tube pre matched with the Parasound HCA1500 is a great combo with my 2Bs.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • vader540is
    Options
    I use a GFA555 and sometimes ill swap it out for my NAD 2200 ( fully recapped and serviced) my ears like the NAD more.
  • alexanikin
    alexanikin Posts: 105
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Guys, what do you think about comparing these?
    ROTEL RB-991
    ROTEL RB-1070
    ROTEL RB-1080
    NAD 218 THX
    B&K EX-442 Sonata
    Post edited by alexanikin on
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    If you can find a McCormack Dna 0.5 deluxe amp jump on it and don’t look back. Only 100 watts but it will drive them without a sweat. Really anything McCormack and you will love it in that price range.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • alexanikin
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    If you can find a McCormack Dna 0.5 deluxe amp jump on it and don’t look back. Only 100 watts but it will drive them without a sweat. Really anything McCormack and you will love it in that price range.

Never heard of it. How old are those amps?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    They will knock your sack back!
  • alexanikin
    Options
    A fast search didn't help to find 0.5, and DNA-1 is out of my comfortable price range. Will see
  • alexanikin
    Options
    Currently, I'm aiming for ROTEL RB-1080. There is one for $600 in a 1.5h drive from my home. But no hurry, no hurry :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I'm no fan of Rotel amps, not a musical presentation.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• alexanikin
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Rotel amps, not a musical presentation.

Is there something you are fan of, keeping in mind $1000 budget? :)
  • F1nut
    Options
    The McCormack Dna 0.5 would be a good choice.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• alexanikin
    Options
    I spent some time today on local classifieds and found a few units available. Most of the names I've never even heard before :-P

Is there anything you can share about those?
    Anthem MCA 2 Series I
    Bryston 3B
    Bryston 4B
    Jaton Operetta AP2300AX
    Parasound Halo A23

Hafler DH-200
    Parasound HCA-1000A
  • F1nut
    Options
    The Parasound Halo A23 is a tried and true good choice.

President of Club Polk

• alexanikin
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Parasound Halo A23 is a tried and true good choice.

And it looks pretty good
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • alexanikin
    Options
    @dkfreebird @F1nut

Guys, what do you think about DNA-1?

There is one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/225232926565?

Initially it was on auction starting $1450, but he just accepted my $1000 offer.

• dkfreebird
    Options
    I have both the 05 deluxe and the Dna 1 and use them with my 1.2tl’s and they are fantastic.Match it with a nice tube preamp and you will love it.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • alexanikin
    Options
    Now I have a choice:

Parasound Halo A23 silver - local for $700
    McCormack DNA-1 - ebay for $1300, incl tax and shipping

The former is twice less power, but 20 years difference too. And I never heard either, so can’t base my choice on anything at all..

Would the latter be better enough, to pay twice the price, which honestly is out of my budget, but doable?

• dkfreebird
    edited November 2022
    Options
    They both are good choices. I’ve had the older Parasound HCA 1200 with the 2b’s I use to have and it is a great match. Never had the A23 but have heard them before with other speakers. I’m just a big fan of the McCormacks but they are an older amp and you don’t know who replaced the caps in the one on eBay.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• alexanikin
    Options
    Power wise difference is not 2x actually.

Parasound offers 225Wpc RMS into 4 ohms vs 300Wpc RMS into 4 ohms by McCormack. But 20 years difference is the real risk of spending more money some day.

On the other hand Parasound has more features for future upgrades, like balanced inputs, and needs less physical space for it.

Hm. I lean toward Parasound for now, need to think about it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    If he accepted your offer, you're kind of obligated to pay. You back out now you just earned a negative no paying buyer award.
  • alexanikin
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If he accepted your offer, you're kind of obligated to pay. You back out now you just earned a negative no paying buyer award.

Yeah, I know. Texted him already with details. Hopefully, he will accept my terms or cancel it.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Wow! No idea what those are worth but it looks like they guy did a cra. p. load of work on that! New pcb. Replaced certain components. Tested all the others and replaced only the ones that were bad. If I am understanding correctly.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • alexanikin
    Options
    Parasound it is. Thank you for all your thoughts, guys.

9mg0cny6iv4f.jpeg
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    alexanikin wrote: »
    Parasound it is. Thank you for all your thoughts, guys.

9mg0cny6iv4f.jpeg

I thought we agreed on the black Parasound, it has a warmer tone. :D
  • alexanikin
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I thought we agreed on the black Parasound, it has a warmer tone. :D

Yeah, I thought about a “+” version in black, but silver actually matches perfectly with my all-white tv stand. A23 w/o “+” has just enough power for me on like 60-70% volume.

Spent an hour listening to the incomplete system: streamer, dac and amp. The sound is so marvelous, it brought me to tears. I never ever heard anything like that.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Alex
    Congrats on your journey and your purchase. Keep us posted and stick around. Post up and enjoy the music!!
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• alexanikin
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Alex
    Congrats on your journey and your purchase. Keep us posted and stick around. Post up and enjoy the music!!

Sure. One day I have to make a thread about my speaker cables.

zkfpntded4da.jpeg

ul8fr1smcg1u.jpeg

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Rock on, beautiful, we expect the cable review tomorrow. >:):)

Welcome to Club Polk