How much sound dampening foam panel was in the RT8 speaker?

Options
Hi Polk Peeps, I'm the original owner of a set of RT8s that I bought in 1997 or so. They were in storage for 15 years but I recently took them out to make space...and then I remembered I liked them so I wired them up. They didn't work I took them apart to find that the glue on the woofers had failed, there was slight cone separation from the foams, spider was unglued on both, the cardboard port tubes were disconnected, and all the tinsel wires from the coil to the terminals had either been nibbled away by mice, or just completely disintegrated. I surprised myself by successfully fixing all these problems, but I don't know how to resolve a last problem: The speakers were filled with foam (and mice nest) that has lost all it's original properties and would just crumble to powder when touched. I had to remove it all and now I'm not sure what to do? I think it was originally thick foam panel 1" thick? maybe 1 1/2"? glued to the inside walls of the cabinet, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? Should I get some foam, or batting or rockwool and just glue it to the panel behind the woofer, or randomly add foam or poly in the cabinet, or just leave it empty? They're only going to play music in my workshop. What would you guys do?

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I am not familiar with your speakers, but from what you've described it sounds like they had basic acoustic foam in them. If so, you should replace like for like.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk