Best 6550 tube? For arc preamp

Hello guys
Looking to get some opinions from those with more knowledge than me.

6550 tube, power section of an audio research preamp. What’s the better or best version?

Looking to see if there are some available to collect for my Arc pre. It is currently stock.

Thx
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Back in the day, original American made Tung-Sol received high praise.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Flying C's were often what ARC shipped amps
    with. You can't get those, or many other choices
    right now. At least not at a sane price.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Flying C's were often what ARC shipped amps
    with. You can't get those, or many other choices
    right now. At least not at a sane price.

I still have a full set of those in a Sonic Frontiers power amp. Big money.

:)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2022
    Gotta love the hours meter!

When I retubed my ARC, Kevin of Upscale recommended the Tung-Sol 6550. I went with EH 6H30PI, ARC grade. The 6H30P-DR's are too much for me and beware of fakes.

One site that tells you how to spot fakes.

http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Good points

I think I have 4 batches of tubes, full sets. I’ll have to look which I have.

I believe my Audio Research Reference 10 linestage comes with 6550 EH… but I’m trying to see if the SED winged 6550 are better.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    edited October 2022
    I had the ref 40 for about 2 years before the ref 10, maybe I got used to that sound so I’m wanting to see if the slight sonic difference could be from the fact that they used different tube variants of the 6550. I should’ve popped out the tubes from the 40 and into the 10 before I sold the 40 but I didn’t have the time to do it.

That would’ve been a better comparison on my part. I have my suspicion that a tube roll would give me some of that sound I was used to. Not that the 10 is bad, there’s just something slightly different about the two.