Marantz 1150

I was playing my old Marantz integrated last week. I've done a lot of work on it.
Most of the electrolytic caps were replaced along with some known troublesome
transistors in the amp boards. All of a sudden, distortion and a buzz.
Guess what I didn't replace. The old duel main PS cap. Sure enough the negative
voltage was a mess. I've had some relay issues as well. So I ordered a PS rebuild kit
from ebay (known audiokarma guy). I also ordered two big caps. I changed out a
bunch of PS stuff. Then I pulled the old duel cap and cut it open. I gutted it out and fit
the new caps inside the shell and put it back together. I ran leads from the new caps
and attached them to the main posts. Clamped it back in and soldered on the connections.
It's back in service tonight. What a PITA to get that cap done. That's why I didn't do it
before. But I guess skipping a known issue was going to bite me. Shortcuts don't pay
in the long run. Sounds pretty good for an almost 50 year old unit.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    We need pics B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I guess next month I'll get around to rehabbing the Kenwood.
    4228vy90d1pc.jpg
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Nice!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    There's my old Marantz. I've been looking all over for it. Kindly ship it back to me once you've completed the repairs. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I guess next month I'll get around to rehabbing the Kenwood.
    4228vy90d1pc.jpg

That's a KA-7100 with... ummm... aftermarket knobs. ;)
    (except the main volume knob, of course)

Used to have a KA-7100 here.
    Our son used it in his high school days.

11817417304_76b11c70d2_c.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    High marks. Wow, I've never tried to rebuild a cap..... :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • sucks2beme
    Not rebuild, restuff. I saw other Marantz rebuilds where they crammed two
    modern caps in the old shell. Sizes on caps have gotten more compact.
    And that's a Progresso soup can sized cap shell.

Yes, I know the Kenwood knobs aren't original. It was $20, and it works.
    It would cost over $100 to replace the 5 small knobs with the proper
    larger ones. And likely they would have scratches. That is one reason
    I haven't done anything with it for 6 years. Been watching for a cheap
    parts unit. But even beaters are going for $$$. So it's either leave it in
    the closet or rebuild it as is. If it sounds good enough I might spring
    for knobs. I may have a shot at getting a cherry ka8100 that has been sitting
    in it's original box for at least 20 years. That might be a better candidate
    for a rebuild. We will see. I did almost buy a Pioneer sa-d7000 receiver
    for $50. But the wife put the brakes on that deal.
    Just as well. Those can turn into a real nightmare to work on.
    Most integrated like the Marantz are a breeze to work on. Other than
    the big duel cap, stuff comes apart easy and modern parts are out
    there. The balance slider was tricky to find, but I found one.

• sucks2beme
    bx4984x2vz4y.jpg

My 1st Marantz, a 1150d I bought in Okinowa when I was 19.