A young clerk gives an old lady a hard time about the environment.

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.
Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.
In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.
We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."
We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart **** young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    I can relate to 99% of this. Maybe even add in at the end also can't tell time w/o a digital readout.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,234
    Our games and toys were made out of wood and metal…not plastic
    Our games and toys didn’t use electricity
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,524
    All I will say is plastic started to become widely used in the 60s and 70s.

The world made a decision 50 to 60 years ago to use plastics more and more. No millennials or gen z or such was around. It is not like the clerk at the super market fresh out of high school demanded these plastic products.

I'm not saying the op is right or wrong or anyone is the blame. I personally like plastic for some products.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    Especially from a smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
    THIS ^^^
    I love it when kids pull out their $1000 iphone to use the caculator function to figure out how much change to give you back. I let them go on then calmly look at them an say whatever the change should be, like so did the phone tell you the correct change was $6.79 ? They usually look astonished and and ask "how you figure that out so fast" ? I just shake my head and leave......... Kids these days!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,467
    VERY well said...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    I gotta beg to differ on the TV thing, though.

When I was a kid, we had a 13 inch RCA TV that was black and white. We upgraded when my dad bought a new RCA TV from the company store. It was a 27 inch, 200 pound, radiation cannon and it was the sweetest thing I ever saw back in 1985.

In fact, it was one of these and looked like the one on the right:fkc2600-1.jpg

Both of those TVs had higher amperage ratings on them than my Sony Bravia XBR-65X810C

The LCD screen with the LED back lighting has a lot to do with that and the fact that I don't use the TV's audio system means the TV pulls down less than 5 amps. In fact, the TV's total power usage when in use is no more than 225 watts. Less when you're not driving the internal audio amplifier circuits.

Those old cathode ray tube TVs were certainly indestructible and you could get a really nice picture on them but they were power hogs. The 13 inch TV used about the same power as the giant Sony but the 27 inch RCA would use almost twice as much power as the 65 inch Sony.

So, honestly, I'll take the power-miserly, huge screen LCD TV over that old, power-hungry, 27 inch radiation cannon any day.

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,780
    imagine my disappointment as I thought this was going to
    be a joke. :/
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,356
    We burn way more electricity with modern TV's, when CRT TV's were around every bar didn't have 30 or more TV's, these things are everywhere now.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    I remember sub $2/gal gas just 2 years ago. ;)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    I never used a microwave oven until I got my own place 42+ years ago. Back when cable TV was this unit that set on the console TV (the one with clicker remote, remember) & you would have to get up & use your finger to change channels. Yes the one with 3 rows /12-15 channels per row.. Back when MTV was kick a$$ with The Sweet & no Kardasian or whatever that crap is.. You could get stoned & walk to the store & get 3 hot dogs for a buck.. oh I miss those days
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    I remember going with my Dad on Saturday afternoons, when I was ten years old (1965), to a neighborhood tavern to watch the major league baseball game of the week on color TV. There was one TV and a bar counter of guys on stools lined up watching it. Another plus was the air-conditioning was real cold, so was the beer. Being a kid, I was given plenty of pop and snacks.

I think the folks bought their first color TV around 1969, a 23" RCA.
    No need to hurry and buy one until the old black and white Philco gave out.

That's the way many people lived back then. I'm glad they did, I learned many valuable life lessons.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    Yep, lots of memories being stirred up here, like when almost all stores were closed on Sundays.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,234
    muncybob wrote: »
    Yep, lots of memories being stirred up here, like when almost all stores were closed on Sundays.

As it should be...not just for Church, but for family and a day of peace no matter how you spend the time.

The energy that would be saved would be a plus.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    VR3 wrote: »
    All I will say is plastic started to become widely used in the 60s and 70s.

The world made a decision 50 to 60 years ago to use plastics more and more. No millennials or gen z or such was around. It is not like the clerk at the super market fresh out of high school demanded these plastic products.

I'm not saying the op is right or wrong or anyone is the blame. I personally like plastic for some products.

Yes, and planned obsolescence started in the 50s. Basically we came back from war and had all these freshly built factories and needed something to make in them, so we invented crap that nobody really needed…a lot of it. That was the beginning of everything the OP bemoans…so don’t blame us youngins ya ole bastages!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    k7zv89uafw8s.jpg

Up to about 3 years ago my uncle had a Avocado colored fridge that he bought in 1975' ish that still ran very well. He kept it as a spare in the garage for Thankgiving/ Christmas over flow items. It had run non-stop since he bought it new. The only thing he EVER had to replace was a small part that was far less than than $20. It controlled the defrost for the freezer. FTR he still has the avacado toilet, tub and sink he bought at about the same time. I remember like now everything is stainless ( which I can't stand) back then it was either avacado or harvest gold.....
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Global warming haox , you notice how they don't call it global warming anymore. Temps are cooling in spots. All those liberal cook jobs can kiss my ****. Both my hummer and Corvette get about 10 miles to the gallon. My air conditioner goes on in April and never goes off till mid October. My class a amp stays on 24 seven. I run a 100 HP two stroke boat motor.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,893
    I have the "proper term" for it.

Cyclic activity.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have the "proper term" for it.

Cyclic activity.

Tom

Yep in the mid 70's we were heading for a new Ice age.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,364
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Global warming haox , you notice how they don't call it global warming anymore. Temps are cooling in spots. All those liberal cook jobs can kiss my ****. Both my hummer and Corvette get about 10 miles to the gallon. My air conditioner goes on in April and never goes off till mid October. My class a amp stays on 24 seven. I run a 100 HP two stroke boat motor.

You and I would get along very well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    Personally I like it when it's warm 12 months a year. Snow sucks...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,356
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Personally I like it when it's warm 12 months a year. Snow sucks...

I'm with you on that, I do roofing in that stuff.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,051

Yes indeed... they have been peddling that lie for a good 50+ years now. Total BS & they know it... just follow the money.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 314

Well said! I don't recycle either, I don't do it to piss off the better 1/2's bleeding heart family. I do my part to recycle by dumping my waste oil on the neighbors encroaching weeds therefore returning it to the earth where it came from.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,435
    A couple of issues that are rarely, if ever discussed in this conversation:

1. The cost of adaptation to rising temps is infinitely cheaper that the cost of (attempted) mitigation. Often times, mitigation and adaptation are served by the same action. Thus is the case with nuclear energy - We are adapting to the cost and scarcity(debatable) of oil by turning to an energy source for which we have a plentiful supply of fuel, AND we are mitigating the cause of warming (again, debatable) by using the carbon neutral nuclear energy.

Similarly, the cost of de-salinization plants (powered by the aforementioned nuclear energy) to provide fresh water is infinitely cheaper than trying to control global temps and make it rain.

2. The clearest path to control of a person or group of people is by controlling their food supply. The second clearest path is to control their energy supply.

3. We are not, nor do we posses the capability to "destroy the earth" - The worst we can do, is render the earth uninhabitable to the human species. in other words, we make it hotter, we die off, and the earth cools back down. We are but a blip in the cosmic history of all things, and our ability to influence anything of a grand scale is non-existent.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,893
    daddyjt wrote: »
    We are but a blip in the cosmic history of all things.

You got that right.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,364
    our ability to influence anything of a grand scale is non-existent.
    BINGO!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,460
    Yeah the change kool-aid drink.

When I am confronted by these people in San Diego I ask 2 questions.

1. I've been told for the last 30 years the ocean's are rising. so why isn't the hotel del under water? It's at the same level as when it was built over 100 years ago.
    2. Why are the rich still buying homes near the coast?

I do agree with getting rid of the plastic bags. Our roads have been a lot cleaner since the ban.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music