replacement cone/coil kits for monitor 10, 6.5" mid/woofers?

Options

Answers

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Options
    Nice. I think the polyfill is upside down and should be with the pants legs (if you will) facing downwards on either side of the brace. The Passive area should be devoid of polyfill.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • jayward
    jayward Posts: 31
    Options
    it's actually a cut out for the crossover... i hadn't really changed any of that since taking it apart... just kinda neatened it up a bit in the last day or 2...
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Previous owner messed it up and it isn't installed properly.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • jayward
    edited October 2022
    Options
    idk... it looks right to me... maybe i'll try it both ways, but the back piece fits the back, side to side, top to bottom, and with the very neat slit for the co(the slit doesn't go all the way to the top or bottom... just @ 6" in the middle where the co sticks out... basically for the wiring to come through it..), all looks pretty factory and thought out, from my end... all i did was straighten it out a little better... behind the tweeter is what feels like a bed roll of fill... that was what i spent the most time messing with, a bit... trying to make it uniformed feeling, and make it totally cover the tweeter hole...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Dude, paragraphs, capital letters and punctuation help people read what you write.

The polyfill at the bottom should be rolled up, so that none is directly behind the PR. Once rolled up use a few staples to hold it in place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jayward
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Sorry, I've been dealing with my internet company all morning, and will probably loose internet some time soon. Oh, and look, it's already afternoon and I've got nothing done. I see now. I fixed it. Thanks again. Pretty much all that's left is getting the mids apart. I banged the 1 with no sticker, a bit, on the back side, with a rubber mallet, and didn't seem to get anywhere. Afraid to do more damage to them. I also saw someone, supposedly, selling voice coils for the blown 1. I don't know if they will work, since I haven't looked at it much yet.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    There are threads that help with how to disassemble drivers but you need a jig, either one made of PVC or a more professional one like xschop's. I'll post the links here If I get time but search is your friend.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195928/forum-member-mw-magnet-repair-tool-set/p1

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/197152/diagnosing-fixing-shifted-polk-mw-drivers/p1

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163992/magnet-shift-repair-is-easy/p1
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • jayward
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thanks again, man! 1 of those gave me some tips for getting them apart, and I will give it a go. Just have a lot going on now, all of a sudden. Looking forward to, hopefully, getting them working soon. That metal jig looks super nice, but I'm going to have to go the cheap pvc route, when I get that far. I actually read that post already. Unfortunately, that 1 didn't have any help on getting them apart. I'm guessing mine are still well glued, and just the pole shifted inside. He says his were already loose, in the pvc post. The other post says try a screw driver or razor. I think that's what I'm going to need to do.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Remove the dust cap, use a 3/4" hard dowel and hammer while magnet rim sets inside a roll of duct tape. Then hammer time it.

Hey...Post 3K for me.. woohoo
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I used an Oak dowel and a hammer, along with xschop's loaner jig. I made a PVC insert for my non-standard MW6500s, which is now circulating with the loaner which hopefully is not MIA forever.

ymi2or1bzaxr.jpg

sr5tuyfvwqnk.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • jayward
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thanks guys! Good useful info! I'd have been scared to even try that, if I'd even thought of it, but sounds like a plan. Any experience with these? I found them on ebay, and haven't got that far to trying to see if they seem like the right part. I'm going to need, at least, 1 for the 1 i already got apart, and was burnt and beaten. They list these speakers, but also list the coil as being 8 ohms, so I'm already not liking that. Haven't even got to checking measurements yet. But, like I said, these came up in my search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175100558708?hash=item28c4ce7d74:g:l5cAAOSw0rRh2T~c&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4BqCQe67npWGGNxya35eg0KqOU6kpIpcKo2FRIC9CQnrbw8YSUM0kwg5dPBvrVjASPB2xpQvGI1vLFLhUJmhLe71+O/7CAlUGxMU188ox5s8kP2no8Kg3ZB1cWPu2I1sY05WDXqpm3kuccf44BTWN/J/Ypz+7LTjrH2D4LRKJrWZxbuXQFTCcHqTPPSxMG06j7bxU1025qfy7ccdSELovt7zr4FxVVhSfVohQ/yvZnm9XNaYWVr7yKQq1/svypNhy+wRDOLYj7UWOeBXUVzPFTXjNAAj7fJCbe1jPrIcmMM2|tkp:Bk9SR96z-bL0YA

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    I'd love to know if those worked.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • xschop
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Whats the length of the old former and the burnt coil winding itself?
  • jayward
    Options
    Well, the ohms aren't right. Correct? And who knows on the size. I'd prefer to measure 1 of the good 1's when I get it apart, than try and measure that beat up 1.
  • xschop
    Options
    The Wuhan coils I got said 8 ohm in description but think they were 6.7-6.8 actually
  • jayward
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Oh. But especially in my case, will that be a problem if I only need to do 1 of them. So far, the others don't have that kind of damage. So I also took a pic of the inside again. I took my time and got the waist/crotch part of the fill pants up behind the fill of the upper part of the cabinet. Nice and flat all the way to the corners. Then I reverse coiled each pants leg, up into the area of the mid divider, pulling down some, rolling as tight as I could get it, so that the crotch is firmly seated on the top of the mid divider, and the rolls are tightly wedged. It's all very neatly done, and I don't think it will move or shift, the way I have everything. They kinda look like 2 toilet paper rolls now, and take up the back half, side of the cabinet. in each side of the mid compartments. They terminate neatly at the bottom of the divider. It's so nice, I should get paid to do this for a living. Just still find it hard to believe, someone took them out in the 1st place. There's no real reasoning to why anyone would. But it's fixed. Hope you can see it alright. I already have them in another storage room, and space is tight. I actually had to shine a light into it, so you could see it.

ff9ea8wuswn7.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Better but you probably want to do any rolling loosely rather than tightly. In my 7Bs almost the entire space behind the MW is taken up by the polyfill, especially after the BH5 square on the back of the cabinet, with the polyfill loosely rolled on top of it.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep, loosely rolled.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jayward
    Options
    Gotcha, will redo the bottom part before I put speakers back in them.
  • xschop
    Options
    Still waiting for the pair of 26mm coils. hopefully only another week out. If they fit the pole-piece perfectly without machining, then I'll get 10ea more.
  • jayward
    Options
    Hi Guys. Been sidetracked with the nice weather, trying to get ready for winter in N.E. So, cool, I'll probably have to use those. Thing is, I only really need 1, and if I redo that 1, will I end up having to do them all so they sound the same? Well, these turned out to be more work than I was hoping. So I'll probably have to keep working on them and try and get them done over the winter, once I'm stuck inside more.
  • jayward
    Options
    Oh, and just while I'm at it. Does anyone know where to get parts for a JL Audio 10" Sub? It's a model 10W3v3-2(ohm). The voice coil(single v c, btw) on that shredded, and it's otherwise a mint looking(and fairly expensive) speaker. I searched Ebay, but didn't see anything. Not for that model, anyway. Mine is older, but they still make them, and haven't changed in appearance, etc.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Have you reached out to JL Audio?

President of Club Polk

• jayward
    Options
    Not yet. Just happened over the weekend. I did look at their site though, and they mention not servicing, or selling parts for, certain woofers, anymore. They didn't mention mine, as 1 they would, or wouldn't, fix or have parts for, though. But, yes, I plan on contacting them. In hopes to get the parts. I'm not sure it's worth shipping and paying them to fix it. It's @ $350 new, and I already bought a used 1 off Ebay, for $150. Which was a really good deal. I'd still like to fix mine though. As a backup, or for my other Jeep. It's still in mint shape, other than being blown. LOL
  • xschop
    Options
    jayward wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Been sidetracked with the nice weather, trying to get ready for winter in N.E. So, cool, I'll probably have to use those. Thing is, I only really need 1, and if I redo that 1, will I end up having to do them all so they sound the same? Well, these turned out to be more work than I was hoping. So I'll probably have to keep working on them and try and get them done over the winter, once I'm stuck inside more.

I only repaired one of a matching set of 6502's and I could not hear a difference at any volume level.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Man I've never seen a coil that burnt up, impressive! Definitely one to epoxy and use as a paperweight on the desk haha

@xschop 3k post is weak, need more!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Man I've never seen a coil that burnt up, impressive! Definitely one to epoxy and use as a paperweight on the desk haha

@xschop 3k post is weak, need more!

Next set of burnt coil/shifted magnet 6502's will get the copper shorting rings and phase plugs.... ;)

x8v57if06cny.png
  • jayward
    Options
    I have no idea what that is, but I'm sure it's a good thing.
  • xschop
    Options
    Last notification said the coils landed in Avenel NJ