Brian

Options
I am new to the Polk forum. I have a pair of RTA 15tls. The tweeter has stopped working. Which driver has the crossover mounted on it? I want to see if the polyswitch has blown before I purchase a replacement tweeter.

Also, i read that club members get a discount. Is the still the case?

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Crossover should be on the binding post cup. Yes if Polk has the RD-0198 in stock you should get a small discount for belonging to the forum.
    You will need to purchase 2 tweeters if yours are the stock SL3000.

In a majority of cases the polyswitch doesn't "blow", it does however go bad and starts to trip easier and easier. At this date in the game they should be replaced with a .5 ohm 10 or 12 watt resistor. Vashay-mills have a good reputation as does the Mundorf mox.
  • Brian_Oerter
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I called CS yesterday and discovered I was talking to someone in Manilla!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    I would 1st swap tweeters around & make sure tweeter is gone. 5 min job
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Screwdriver is your friend :D
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hewlp Bwian!
    0nh6pod54yzk.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I called CS yesterday and discovered I was talking to someone in Manilla!

Funny cause now you’re talking to Vanilla
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Screwdriver is your friend :D
    Especially after a rough day at work.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    I know a few Brians, good people

Welcome!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I know a few Brians, good people

Welcome!
    I only know that leg-humping dog from Family Guy…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    We have a few Brians on this forum, like the op
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    We have few Brains on this forum,

Fixed it for ya...

• BinKY188_5
    Options
    I'm a Brian. Welcome to Club Polk.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    BinKY188_5 wrote: »
    I'm a Brian. Welcome to Club Polk.

So is @erniejade
    Welcome
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2022
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    So is @erniejade
    Welcome

Say whaaat no way!

😎
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    I use Brian as an alias when picking up women at bars.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I use Brian as an alias when picking up women at bars.

Is that why I get women trying to beat me up in the parking lots?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Hey Brian,
    Went thru the same when ordering my 194’s through Polk.
    Had a hard time understanding what the person was saying on the other end of the line.

When talking with them do not mention you’re wanting to replace the specific tweeter number of your speaker.
    Just tell them the model # of what the others are saying.
    Either the 194 or 198, whichever you’re needing.

As others said to me mention you’re a club Polk member and they’ll apply the discount.
    They may ask your name you go by on the forum, they did ask me to verify.

• charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    Interesting, my bud Brian just put his 15's up for sale on FB. We each bought the 15's practically together back in 91 at Team Electronics in Peoria,Il. Pitt may be familiar with this shop that's long gone?! He never modded his but he & I both were always sticklers in keeping our gear in pristine condition.I think he has $550 on them but we weren't really sure what actual value is?! Cosmetically there is none finer than his set or mine. I'm going to hold on to mine, they've spent 99% of their life in the box in my closet. When I move I'll probably pull them out again.
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Remember Team Electronics very well. I lost a lot of money at both Team and LaSalle Electronics... Those places were fantastic!

@charley95 I'm not a FB person how much is he asking?
    Or maybe pm a link to me and let me see if I can see it. I or someone else may be interested.
  • charley96
    Options
    Ah shoot, I don't do FB either and don't know if their market place can be accessed by a non member?!
    He's asking $550 and he's in Morton,il. He has a car on there too and I couldn't get access to it the other day.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    $550 too rich for me. Thanks brother!
  • charley96
    Options
    Any idea what they're worth unmodded & unmolested?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »

Whatever someone will pay for them.
    There was someone on CL several years ago from the Peoria area. They as well listed then for about that price. At the time I was going to buy them for my son. I offered $200, explained that I would be updating the XO and that was costly. Honestly I wasn't about to pay $5-600 and then spending another $5-600. It just seem like a smart move. I can't remember what they sold for new, but I'm thinking around $900.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    charley96 wrote: »

Whatever someone will pay for them.
    There was someone on CL several years ago from the Peoria area. They as well listed then for about that price. At the time I was going to buy them for my son. I offered $200, explained that I would be updating the XO and that was costly. Honestly I wasn't about to pay $5-600 and then spending another $5-600. It didn't seem like a smart move. I can't remember what they sold for new, but I'm thinking around $900.

Fixed it
  • charley96
    Options
    Thanks, I guess he'll have to decide what to sell them for or just keep them. Back in 91 Team had a list price of $1,300 and I paid $1,100 for mine. At the time I bought a Denon 1025ra receiver from them for about $950. I use that in my garage and upgraded to a Rogue Cronus Magnum.