Seismic Ball Bearing Isolators

Options
xschop
xschop Posts: 4,702
edited September 2022 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Up for sale is my spare set of custom ball and cup isolators.

Can isolate the heaviest speakers by 3-point self-leveling locations.

True 3" radius 7075 Billet aircraft alloy cups and 400 series stainless steele half inch precision ground bearings.
2.5" Diameter and only 1" tall when installed.

6 are PVA pad-backed for the floor and 6 will come with self adhesive 60mm 3M pads. (Still waiting on 4 pads to arrive)

These cleaned up the minute details in bass string instruments and midrange with even more definition than the standard floor footers on my RTA-8TLs.

$180 shipped US-48 ONLY.

35506s2vg1mu.jpg

kimd7smwjgkj.jpg

e1k8as4cudis.jpg

ff9gf4lvlyu5.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    400 pounds? Asking for a friend

Those look great
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    400 pounds? Asking for a friend

Those look great

Yeah buddy...

https://tenor.com/bnEgo.gif
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    How are these isolating the speakers from the floor, more that spikes? There still seems to be more floor contact than spikes have. I am interested, but want to understand the isolation concept better.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Spikes don't isolate the speakers from the floor they couple it to the floor.
  • xschop
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Invalid's point was valid and the main objective when I machined them.

The lower the resonant frequency of a vibration isolation device, the better the isolation. These having a 3" radius of curvature will have a lower resonant frequency than other designs.
    Post edited by xschop on
  • xschop
    Options
    I'm going to make smaller diameter ones but with same 3" radii to put under my amp and CD player..

Finally re-found this....

http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    I've always been interested in this design idea. How are these working out?
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    Options
    I'm still enjoying the improved bass response/articulation. I was going to brace the 8TLs in two more places internally, but feel that the cabinet tone now being emitted is now acceptable with these installed.

Also we noticed the larger wall mounted T.V. on the opposite side wall in master bedroom does not have any vibration as before the isolators.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    xschop, did you ever make the smaller diameter "roller blocks"? I'd be interested.
    Thanks!
  • xschop
    edited February 2023
    Options
    No, I didn't make any smaller dia. cups. I also found that my amp and CD player do not vibrate as much as before installing these on base of the speakers. Win/win because these are machine time intensive and require a few passes of 400 grit emory cloth after the lathe operations.
    To do a large run of these, I would have to make a set-up that held emory cloth on the center. I value my phalanges too much to chance.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    OK, thanks anyway!
  • xschop
    Options
    I'll drop the price on these to $160 shipped since I never got the 60mm 3M pads after waiting 2 months from the vendor.
  • xschop
    Options
    These are sold.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Man, I gotta be honest here...

I was eying these like a HAWK but with my speakers? I need adjust-ability with the height down to micrometers. I am on a wood floor now (suspended) but will soon be on a concrete floor. It's highly doubtful a concrete floor would be flat, based upon my experience.

You offer(ed) a great product here. My hat is off to you, sir!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I have these (my cruder DIY versions) under my speakers and my 1924 built house is definitely not level anywhere.....well actually I found one spot on the floor that is......but anyway if you have 3 points of support they will always be coplanar so it is simply a matter of shimming the 1 or 2 other ones that are on the low side and you use a carpenter's level to do it and appropriately sized shims.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited February 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Man, I gotta be honest here...

I was eying these like a HAWK but with my speakers? I need adjust-ability with the height down to micrometers. I am on a wood floor now (suspended) but will soon be on a concrete floor. It's highly doubtful a concrete floor would be flat, based upon my experience.

You offer(ed) a great product here. My hat is off to you, sir!

Tom

Thank you Treitz3. I only build things that I'd use myself. If I had another tall speaker rig, I'd have this spare set installed already.

The taller the speaker (above @4ft) the more critical and isoplanar the tripods would need to be to have your speakers plumb erect. Outriggers would be an added benefit on taller speakers.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    That's what I am looking at doing (Outriggers). I have to go custom, due to the weight of the speakers and I want the height of each spike to be easily adjustable to the "inth" degree"

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Also should've added that if your floor is so out of level at the point where a ball bearing cup has to be located to the point where the ball doesn't settle in the geometric center, you can either shim up the cup in a couple of places or bed it in some epoxy putty between two layers of waxed paper and then trim your tapered shim that is created after it has cured a bit. Floor would have to be extremely bad for this to be an issue with a 3" radiused cup IMO.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yes, the 3" radii are extremely forgiving and allow for alot more radial movement in these larger diameter cups as well...

My new daily habit... As Wifey gives THAT look lol..

https://youtube.com/shorts/TE95bIe7Rrg?feature=share

Again, a big thanks goes to Gstater for technical input on this project.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited February 2023
    Options
    My crude DIY ones made with soup spoons (lol) and with 1/32" flat steel plate epoxied above to a concrete block never moved that well even before the flat steel plate got brinelled. Now it feels like there are a bunch of little detents because the steel was too thin and the epoxy underneath not being solid enough. The soup spoons are fine still though, after a few years. I was amazed that 7075 aluminum is as hard as stainless steel.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That's what I am looking at doing (Outriggers). I have to go custom, due to the weight of the speakers and I want the height of each spike to be easily adjustable to the "inth" degree"

Tom

You'll have to use a large diameter lead screw with the finest thread available.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Sharing this picture of someone's DIY Isolation Stand just because it's pretty cool and could give some ideas to anyone interested:

06zxiz4atsgr.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • AMF007
    AMF007 Posts: 21
    Options
    Very cool idea and nice work on them.
    Couple decouple ... float, anchor ... are we in counseling or learning to doc a boat? (Seriously folks, I am here all week!)