Vandersteen 2

Options
davidballou2022
davidballou2022 Posts: 31
edited September 2022 in Speakers
I bought a pair of used Vandersteen 2 loudspeakers years ago. I believe they are the CE type. The person really abused the speakers and one of the woofers had a burned out voice-coil. I really didn’t like the working Scan-Speak P21WO20-08 polypropylene 8-inch woofer. Vandersteen uses 6 db/octave crossovers and the 8-inch woofer has a rising frequency response beyond the crossover point (500 Hz). In the late 1980’s I worked for Radio Shack and I bought the 8-inch polypropylene woofers they carried, I still have them 30+ years later. I installed the Radio Shacks in place of the Scan-Speaks and the Radio Shacks did not have the energy the Scan-Speaks had although the Scan-Speaks seemed to have too much of that 400-500-600 Hz that I usually like to EQ out when I was using a 1/3 band equalizer. Why did Vandersteen ever put an 8-inch woofer in the cabinet? Vandersteen uses a 10-inch woofer for the very bottom end. I decided to use a Polk 6502 (6 ½ inch woofer). I added an extra magnet to the Polk’s, way more dynamic Polk’s now. So far the Polk’s sound great and the speakers are just sitting in the hole for the 8-inch woofer. I plan on building my 10-inch Dayton Titanic IIs directly under the Vandersteen 2s. I think Vandersteen made a mistake using an 8-inch woofer instead of today’s norm of 6-1/2 inch woofers. The only issue I have is, do I set back the Polk woofer when I install it or do I move the midrange/tweeter assembly forward to try to get the voice-coils aligned between the woofer and the midrange. I am a little worried that if I reposition the mid/tweeter assembly that I might end up with a mess. The only crossover change I plan on doing is using a high quality bypass capacitor (.1 uF) across the tweeter capacitor. The bypass capacitor is totally worth it and I find adds so much to the top end.

Does anyone have a suggestion about setting the woofer back or to move the mid/tweeter assembly forward?
Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I wouldn’t alter a Vandersteen 2.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.