Paradigm Studio 40's v2

Options
I just picked up a pair of these on Ebay that I believe I may have owned back around 2005-ish or so. They are Rosenut and have a ding in the top back corner of one in the exact same place mine did...ha ha. That would be crazy. I always regretted selling those and I'm not sure I'm totally sold on my new Focal Aria 906's so considering how cheap the Studio 40's were I thought I'd give them another shot.
I've got quite a few posts here about those Paradigms I believe.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    What are you on the fence about with the Arias? I was a big fan of my 926’s
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I don't know, man. Sometimes they sound great and then sometimes they don't I guess. It's probably recording dependent and/or how receptive my brain happens to be to a listening session at the time? I listened to some Yes and Kansas in the past week and I was pretty darn happy but then I listened to something that used to sound pretty spectacular with my Von Schwiekert VR1's and tube amp setup and it sounded pretty bad. The jury is still out on the Focals as I've only had them a couple months but when I compare them to the Paradigms I think I'll have a much better idea where they stand.
    I still have that tube amp and haven't used it for years. I may end up pulling that sucker back out.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    There’s something about a nice set of 3-way bookies.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I have the paradigm S4’s and I am so happy with the performance. I also have the s6’s and s8’s and they all sound fantastic. Huge fan here.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I almost bought a set of them in the early 2000’s. I was really impressed with them paired with one of the paradigm subs that was popular at the time but didn’t have the extra cash to swing it then with 4 kids at home.