Polk 5B and ADS 470 Speakers - Information

2»

Comments

• davidballou2022
    davidballou2022 Posts: 31
    edited September 2022
    I just joined on and I have to say that the people who comment should be more gentle in their great expertise. My Dad has several Audio Encyclopedias that he wrote an edited. I have attended several AES conventions with also attending as many paper-lectures as I could get. I have attended SynAudCon and my father was great friends with the founder of SynAudCon who also created the first Equalizer from Altec. I have had physics and advanced math in college and I worked for a sound company for almost 9 years installing and electronic repair. I have worked on 7-layer surface mount circuit boards for telecommunications for the leader in the financial industry after my audio career. I learned the resistor code when I was 10 years old. Stop being a know-it-all. There is always someone that knows so much than you and you can always learn instead of getting on top of your soap box.
  • Right away someone said that more Bass would happen when more magnet was attached to the existing magnet.

Poser!!!!!!
  • Try it before you comment. You don't seem credible now.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    7t4bijggd6g1.gif
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • There are many speakers that have the additional magnet structure now. Look at Madison Sound and Parts express for the better models to have not bucking magnets but have additional magnet structures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited September 2022
  • The only reason I originally posted anything is that I thought maybe someone can receive the knowledge that I learned. You guys really need to be more receiving to posts rather than be critics.
  • Lets see a picture of your *add a magnet* for the MW6502. I understand the concept of BL. It is one of the Thiele Small Parameters that is very important to the performance of a driver. No doubt it is a not too much, not too little sort of deal. You have tweaked yours higher.

Pictures or it didn't happen :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've never heard a Vandersteen speaker that I liked. Isn't it weird how we all have different tastes and preferences?

You're not alone, FWIW. :#
    All of them that I have heard have been too bright/forward for me.
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    How about you being less of an a$$...

jjorhag2fj8l.png

We're vintage Altec & JBL here -- happily so, and by choice, after lots (and lots) of things in between.
    I mean, you know, if we want to get into a urinating contest (which I don't).
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2022
    To speak of the 604 & 904 in the same breath suggests a lack of familiarity with one or both.
    Other than (broadly) similar design architecture, they're designed for totally different applications -- which a look at current going prices will readily confirm.

That said, I'm all set here. Ciao, @davidballou2022 -- drop some attitude, read some of this forum to get an idea of the integrated empirical experience here, remember it's a Polk forum, and stay and enjoy the company -- or not.
    I've got a videoconference; gotta go.

EDIT: PS, @davidballou2022 if you're not already there, you might want to check out www.audiosciencereview.com You might enjoy it more.

Post edited by mhardy6647 on