Early MW 6500 date code

Options
Searched around but only saw later info.
Thanks. tthn884hp6pv.jpeg
6c4emd1bevo7.jpeg
g3kxw7mgnwm1.jpeg
jw0ixgjwrmqg.jpeg
moyva26b8aym.jpeg
fjatn1s5gi9i.jpeg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    That's not a date code. The only dates on vintage Polk mid-drivers were on the paper label.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Ok, so these early drivers didn’t have a paper label on the backside.
    I was hoping the numbers meant something.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Of course, you're right about the very early ones not having paper labels. For a possible date clue look at the back of the PR as they often hand wrote a date on them. Also, look on the crossover.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    Options
    I’ll check a PR.

I’d have to dig out the enclosure to get at the crossover. It’s not the external mounted cup.
    3rzy6ycp1o0i.jpeg
  • F1nut
    edited September 2022
    Options
    You can access the crossover when you remove the PR.

While you're in there install some real binding posts and get some real speaker cable.

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    Options
    What do the numbers on the back of the drivers mean if they aren’t date codes?
    Some type of internal tracking?
    Thanks.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    @mhardy6647 posted info. once about the possibility of them being manufacturer's ID codes.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    557 could be Matrecs Industries, Inc. I find it hard to believe that the date could be 5th week of 1962. Maybe 25th week of 1976?

https://www.ecianow.org/assets/docs/EIAStandards/1.7.6_EIA Source Codes_1981.pdf
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • odcics2
    Options
    Here’s pics of the 8” PR.
    uhcun34sffvk.jpeg
    05jstozi9yjr.jpeg
    917yksu7clfi.jpeg

No dates on the crossover. It’s the kind that is screwed to the cabinet back.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I don't know if you saw my previous post to you. I believe the prod. date on your MW's are 25th and 36th week of 1976.

In this thread the person also had a very early speaker and has the same number 6KU132 on his MW and said his passive was 7450 (maybe the last number wasn't stamped well?)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/161419/matching-my-mismatched-monitor-7s/p1
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    Nice concentric washer addition to that PR.

Life is like an old set of Polks. Ya never know what you're gonna get, and circumstances are different every time.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • odcics2
    Options
    I don't know if you saw my previous post to you. I believe the prod. date on your MW's are 25th and 36th week of 1976.

In this thread the person also had a very early speaker and has the same number 6KU132 on his MW and said his passive was 7450 (maybe the last number wasn't stamped well?)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/161419/matching-my-mismatched-monitor-7s/p1

Yes, I did see it, but you said it was a guess. Previous posts say the numbers are not a date code.
    I’m just trying to learn, being a Polk new guy here!!
    I really like the sound of these early Monitor 7s!!
    I’d put spade lugs on the ends of the wires, but other speakers I use have different hook ups.
    FYI- barrier strips are an excellent way to connect if using spade lugs.
    It’s the preferred way to connect according to Vandersteen.
    They tested them all.
    $70,000. speakers with barrier strips speaks a lot about the quality of the connection.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Whatever Vandersteen recommends, do the opposite.

High quality binding posts and banana plugs for me, thank you very much.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Whatever Vandersteen recommends, do the opposite.

lol'd
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    odcics2 wrote: »

Yes, I did see it, but you said it was a guess. Previous posts say the numbers are not a date code.
    I’d put spade lugs on the ends of the wires, but other speakers I use have different hook ups.
    They tested them all.
    $70,000. speakers with barrier strips speaks a lot about the quality of the connection.

There was an explanation in the link I gave previously. Here it is. Basically the last 4 digits after the hyphen (yours don't have a hyphen) are the date code. Sometimes the manufacturers leave off the decade part of the year, just to make things confusing or to save a little $ on ink I guess lol.

https://www.ecianow.org/assets/docs/EIAStandards/1.7.6_EIA Source Codes_1981.pdf

h1vk0a6n8v9i.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • odcics2
    Options
    odcics2 wrote: »

They tested them all.

There was an explanation in the link I gave previously. Here it is. Basically the last 4 digits after the hyphen (yours don't have a hyphen) are the date code. Sometimes the manufacturers leave off the decade part of the year, just to make things confusing or to save a little $ on ink I guess lol.

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/i7/h 1vk0a6n8v9i.jpg[/img]

What about the PR numbers?

• Gardenstater
    Options
    I do not know how we decipher the PR numbers for any meaning. 74505, doesn't really compute for me. 7450 could be 50th week of 1974. Shot in the dark, maybe the same passive they used in the Model 9? Question mark is a serious question mark this time.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ya'll are seriously reaching.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited November 2022
    Options
    More confirmation on Matrecs Industries (from an eBay seller)

h853yqmkkavi.jpg

naputpujpque.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS