The dimensional drivers of the L800 should be audible, right?

Options
Hello. I am a big fan of the old SDA line, having owned nearly every model from the 80s. On my SRS 1.2tl, for example, I can hear the dimensional drivers in the right speaker with my balance control turned all the way to the left. That's how I knew it was working. I just bought a pair of L800s and I do not hear anything from the dimensional drivers. Has the technology changed that much? Shouldn't I be able to hear at least something from those drivers? Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, all drivers should be active. All of the drivers are easily audible on mine with a Parasound A31 amp. Doesn't require shifting the balance to hear them.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,803
    Options
    You didn't make it clear under what circumstance you do not heard sound coming from the dimensional drivers.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• martinrick49
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I'm playing a song through the L800. I turn the balance control all the way to the left channel. My expectation is that the right speaker's dimensional drivers are making noise, as designed. I'm getting no sound out od the right speaker. I think there's a problem. I'm asking anyone who owns L800s to confirm that their dimensional drivers make a sound when a song is being played.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    @nooshinjohn
    John, Can you help this guy out?

Martin, can you tell us what you are using as source and power?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I'm playing a song through the L800. I turn the balance control all the way to the left channel. My expectation is that the right speaker's dimensional drivers are making noise, as designed. I'm getting no sound out od the right speaker. I think there's a problem. I'm asking anyone who owns L800s to confirm that their dimensional drivers make a sound when a song is being played.

Are you getting sound when you go all the way to the right channel in the left dimensional?

I ask because you keep asking about the right channel dimensional drivers.

• F1nut
    Options
    I can say the way SDA is implemented in the L800 is completely different than the original SDA speakers. Each crossover has two nearly identical crossover circuits on the same large board. This is why one can use non-common ground amps without an isolation transformer with the L800. Warning, you cannot use balanced dual differential amps with them though.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    hmxbgajl2wvi.jpg

President of Club Polk

• martinrick49
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments. To answer your questions, I am running an Aragon 4004 amplifier, Aragon 24K pre-amp, and Sony CD changer. This combination sounds great with my 1.2tl. I'm getting no sound out of either the right or left dimensional drivers when the balance control is turned all the way in either direction. Further, I don't hear any difference in sound quality, imaging, or sound stage when I unplug the interconnect cable entirely. I've tried both interconnect cables provided with the speakers, with the same result.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    No time to play around today, but I can tell you when set up properly, all drivers are functioning. A simple ear test reveals that. I will play with the balance settings tomorrow and report back.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Do you have L800”s or not?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• F1nut
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments. To answer your questions, I am running an Aragon 4004 amplifier, Aragon 24K pre-amp, and Sony CD changer. This combination sounds great with my 1.2tl. I'm getting no sound out of either the right or left dimensional drivers when the balance control is turned all the way in either direction. Further, I don't hear any difference in sound quality, imaging, or sound stage when I unplug the interconnect cable entirely. I've tried both interconnect cables provided with the speakers, with the same result.

I see your amp is dual mono, so I presume you are using an isolation transformer with your SDA 1.2TL's...right?

Anyway, I'm wondering if the topology of your amp isn't compatible with the L800.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I actually have the Aragon 4004mkII and the Aragon 8008bb. The 4004 does not have the balanced connections the 8008 does whether or not it's dual differential I cannot say. I can say that without my transformer I cannot use them with my 2.3tl's with the interconnect cable in place.

Are you using the interconnect cable with the L800's

Yes that combination 4004 and 24k pre would make for an excellent set up.

My next question would be is yours a Mondial amp, Klipsch or Indy labs? Mine are original Mondial design. I know that when owned by Klipsch they made some changes to the design verses the original. I'm lead to believe the newer Indy labs owners are supposed to be faithful to the Mondial design.

For the record I've not had the pleasure of listening to the Klipsch era of the Aragon, I do know some favor the Mondial and Indy labs over the Klipsch era.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I'd recommend trying a different amp or receiver with the L800s that doesn't have a dual mono transformer design.
  • martinrick49
    Options
    Thanks again to all that have taken time to respond. Yes, I actually own a brand-new pair of L800 and was thrilled to get them. I am using the factory interconnect; and in fact have tried two different factory cables with the same result. The main drivers are working fine with my Aragon 4004, but there is no sound from either the right or left dimensional drivers. My original question was should I hear sound from the dimensional drivers? I assume the answer is yes, but just wanted confirmation from someone experienced with the L800.
  • martinrick49
    Options
    Thanks, Emlyn, for your answer. I'll try different amps and then call Polk and the dealer to resolve this. Thanks again to all who responded.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Pitching this out there...
    Looking at crossover above, is there anyone this that maybe be unplugged internally disabling the the dimensional drivers??

• Emlyn
    Options
    I remember when I got my L800s from Crutchfield a customer service rep called me to ask what amplifier I'd be using with them. Mainly to make sure they would get enough current. I don't think their web site's listing makes note of the issue they have with dual differential amps and their product recommendation links for amps include at least a couple of dual differential designs.

I really think the compatibility issue should be noted and easier to find since even some dealers may not know about it.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    A couple of quick tests reveal that the SDA drivers do indeed function when balance is shifted left of right. Whatever issue the OP is having cannot be explained by speaker function. There has to be something wrong or missed in the setup.

• F1nut
    Options
    Another thought popped up...I wonder if he has 2 rights or 2 lefts???

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,049
    Options
    That shouldn't matter, they are the same speaker but the sda drivers are on a different side.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I see in the crossover above there is an "SDA IN"...would the other have have an "SDA OUT" connection ???
    Possibly making connection non-functionable

• F1nut
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    That shouldn't matter, they are the same speaker but the sda drivers are on a different side.

I believe it does matter. There was someone here recently complaining about getting 2 of the same side, but I don't recall all of the details.

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I believe it does matter. There was someone here recently complaining about getting 2 of the same side, but I don't recall all of the details.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/194983/l800-l-r/p1
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    Options
    Could have swore at Skips where they had these for demo Polk had sent 2 left speakers and they simply swapped the midbass drivers in one to be the right speaker.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I think the difference is in the crossover…

• VR3
    Options
    We will get @TroyD tanked at Polk fest so we can pop the top
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Could have swore at Skips where they had these for demo Polk had sent 2 left speakers and they simply swapped the midbass drivers in one to be the right speaker.

I was there, I sure don't remember that happening.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • VR3
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I was there, I sure don't remember that happening.

Interesting, dunno. I'll work on getting Troy to let us open his up 😅
  • martinrick49
    Options
    The audio gremlins were at work overnight here. I switched the L800s to an old Kenwood integrated amp and the dimensional drivers worked fine! Only difference was the amp. Then I hooked them back up to the Aragon 4004 (which wasn't working yesterday and prompted this thread.) You guessed it...the dimensional drivers now are working fine. I can't explain it, but the speakers sound fantastic and I'm hoping the gremlins are satisfied. To answer my original question, the dimensional drivers are definitely audible. More audible than in my other SDAs over the years. Thanks again for all the comments.