Analysis Plus oval one RCA connectors

I was listening to music today and enjoying the Threshold Stasis 2 and SL10 when I noticed that the right channel started sounding really bad. I panicked because I thought there was something wrong with the amp or the preamp. I turned the balance knob to full left and then full right then back to center and the right channel cleared up. That is, until I turned around. Ugh!

I slid the preamp forward on it's shelf a bit and then the right channel cut out completely. This is when I noticed that the RCA interconnect fell off the back of the preamp.

What a poor design for an RCA plug! It's so loose on the terminals that it falls off with the slightest touch. I'm really disappointed with these interconnects. Any recommendations for a quality 6 meter RCA interconnect pair that doesn't fall off of the jack? Maybe I can replace the plugs?
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    6 meters???
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2022
    Ugly fix, squeeze them with pilers. :o

You can just replace the RCA connectors. There are two basic types, for coax (center conductor and braided shield) and two conductor wire, with or without braided shield.

Check out Douglas Connection. No affiliation. It's been a while since I've ordered from him, but he did give Polk forum members a small discount. Vampires are nice but pricey. He has some with his brand name that are reasonably priced.

https://douglasconnection.com/?s=rca+connectors
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • VR3 wrote: »
    6 meters???

Yep. My house is old, and room layout is difficult, so I have the amplifier that is too big to fit in the stereo rack, on an amp stand near the speakers and the preamp, turntable and CD player on the right side wall. It was what I had to do to make the space work.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited September 2022
    Look on Doug’s site as stated above. He has some really nice locking Furutech RCA’s. Very high quality. I had them on the cables I recently replaced.

He also has some Furez that are ok but lock great and are not as pricey.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    I had that situation myself and used single ended (RCA) cables that long to amp.

Belden 8241F coax cable, shield with stranded center conductor so they are flexible.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tratliff wrote: »
    Look on Doug’s site as stated above. He has some really nice locking Furutech RCA’s. Very high quality. I had them on the cables I recently replaced.

He also has some Furez that are ok but lock great and are not as pricey.

Thanks! I'm checking it out now.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Send Doug an email tell him what you need and you belong here at the Polk forum.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Send Doug an email tell him what you need and you belong here at the Polk forum.

Yeah. Tell him we sent you!!!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    See if he has any locking RCA's. That way, you will be ensured that they will never fall off again. Please tell Doug not to be a stranger.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    treitz3 wrote: »
    See if he has any locking RCA's. That way, you will be ensured that they will never fall off again. Please tell Doug not to be a stranger.

Tom

Maybe the Analysis plus have locking connectors and they are not tightened, making it appear loose. An easy mistake if one never had experienced locking RCA's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    I went to Analysis site and per specs, the Oval One IC's use coax.

"It uses a braided signal conductor in our proprietary hollow oval design along with a braided outer shield mated to a true 75 ohm RCA connector with a low-loss dielectric."

They use a solderless RCA connector. They sell these RCA's for $16.99 a pair.

qumxza3hsnq1.png

Analysis also offers a re-termination service. $13.90 per solderless RCA. You'd have to contact them to see if that's just labor or parts extra.

https://analysis.plus/retermination-services/

I've used these Vampires (and some similar) on coax which require soldering the center conductor. Some skill is required as you don't want solder on the exterior of the RCA pin. It looks unprofessional, would increase thickness of pin and flakes of solder could rub off when plugging them into your gear, possibly creating a short inside the RCA. The braid gets folded back over the outer jacket and you screw it together.

When stripping the dielectric, you have to get the lengths right so center conductor reaches slot for soldering. You don't want any extra shield braid sticking out back of RCA for neatness and ease of assembly.

If you want to use shrink tubing, I didn't see it offered at Analysis site. I don't use it on coax RCA's.

bkan6owh7hfx.png

One of mine. Older Vampire RCA, but still fit snugly. Before soldering, ensure the nut and barrel are on cable, facing the correct direction.

xmtz8k9h3f1d.jpg

• I have a lot of experience with soldering, so I'm not concerned about that. I did a couple of tests last night and determined that the Analysis Plus connector will grip tightly if it is pushed into a deeper/longer female RCA jack, so now I'm thinking about replacing the jacks instead of the cable ends. I will order enough connectors, male and female, to do both ends of the cable and the jacks on both the preamp and the amp. Now the question is, gold or rhodium...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    It appears that AP uses Canare RCA's. Can you confirm if the RCA had 10-12 little fingers inside that actually make the contract to the ground shield of the RCA? I've actually used the Canare RCA's and found them to be very good. You are correct that you do need to push them on and there is a little click when they're seated. They definitely do not have the grip of death many do but they do grip tight enough that they will not just fall out.
  • Yes. You are 100% correct. These have a solid ring with little bumps inside. Unfortunately the jacks on the amp especially are very short and the ground ring portion hits the back of the terminal before the bumps can grip.